new tires/HELP

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by booger, Jan 12, 2009.

1. booger

booger Member

trying to put new tires on, have original wheels. need to know if i can put tubeless tires with a different valve stem setup on these wheels , has anyone done it? new tube tires have gotten crazy on prices mostly all supplies come from Coker tires only. LT215/85R16 ? correct ?:confused:

2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Gerald - I put those radials on my original wheels. Care must be taken using a hydraulic machine, as the rims are narrow. I wire brushed all the rust and treated the inside of the rims before mounting. If the rims don't have rust thru, you shouldn't have any problem.

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Check with diamondback tires...www.dbtires.com..I run them ONLY for whitewalls. Had some cokers, not impressed.

4. Volker

Volker Member

tires

i drive with 215/75R15 (blackwall, Nankang) with the original rims tubelless. Sandblasted rims and powder coated. Please look at the tie rod ends. If you use radial tires the tie rods touching the inside when you drive extremly left or right. I changed the original tie rods with new after market parts from Jim Carter.

5. Steve Katzman

Steve Katzman Member

Tubeless

I went to Discount Tire and they mounted tubeless light truck radials on the old wheels. It's been around 6 months and I've had no problems at all. The only issue is they had to go and find the larger diameter stems before they could do it.

6. skalywag

skalywag Member

I have Coker Wide Whites 6.50x 16 Radials mounted on original wheels which were in pretty good shape. I had Coker mount them whilst I was visiting my Mom who lived on Signal Mtn Tennessee. No problems after a year and a half.
    (knock on wood)
    The ride is nice and I run em at 35 psig.

Cheers,
    Terry

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Correct Tires

Yep ;

That's the right size IIRC (LT215/85R16) I am running Dayton brand tires and they're wearing like iron and stick like glue , loaded or empty .

Stock 16" wheels .

Snap in (std. rubber typ) valve stems .

8. jeffr1986

jeffr1986 Member

Check out Diamondback Classics. I am running 205/75R16s with 3" whitewalls on orginal wheels. I've had them for a year and a half and love them.