New guy has questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by monumentdad, Nov 24, 2002.

1. monumentdad

monumentdad Member

Please let me know about any experiences buying sight unseen off Ebay.
    I like the 1954 Chevy best but '47 - '55 are all nice. What do I need to consider about these years. I'm looking at two trucks right now. 1953 one ton dually flatbed. Very original. It's somewhat unique. Does that hurt me in the long run? 1955 first series 3100. Several modern add-ons like cd-player, never V-8. Does it matter that it's not all original? Where else should I look besides Ebay, Hemmings, Autotrader, local classifieds, Wheel Deals, Auctions/Car Shows? Thanks for your help.

2. Glen

Glen Member

One problem with the 1-ton is availability of aftermarket parts. I tried this with a '59 1-ton. Most of the aftermarket parts are for 1/2 tons. Somethings will fit, but not all. For a daily driver they are going to be much slower (gear ratio around 5.13) than a 1/2 ton (gear ratio around 3.90). If the other one has some of the things you would add anyway, why not? I prefer to start from scratch.

3. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-02 AT 12:44 PM (CST)]I have a '55 first series GMC 250 panel. The parts that I can use from 1/2- or 3/4-ton trucks are from the doors forward, but all the suspension and driveline parts are unique to the 1-ton. Sheetmetal, glass, interior are all identical, I ordered most of my truck out of the CD catalog.

The items I found difficult were:
    1) The rear gears are 5.14:1, which with stock tire diameter gives you a top speed of 40mph. Finding a set of 4.10:1 was troublesome; there's a carrier tension bolt on the 1-ton diff, which means you need a specific (read: expensive) set of gears. Because the vehicle weighs 3.5 tons empty, I didn't want to go with too low a number.
    2) The leaf springs are 1/4" wider than the 1/2- or 3/4-ton springs, so if you need to replace any parts, you're going to the wrecking yard. I had a broken main leaf on the rear, and ended up buying a pair of complete spring packs, restoring them off the vehicle, and installing both replacements at the same time.
    3) Spindles and wheel bearings are beefy, and therefore rare. You'll find that cost and availability will point you toward Timken-style bearings (which last longer as well). If you find a damaged spindle (as I did), all I can say is good luck.
    4) Wheels and tires are always an issue. With 1-ton rigs you have 8-on 6.5" bolt pattern, but you still have the narrow backspacing problem. I found a set of 16.5" rims with 3.75" backspacing, but they're 1.5" wider than the stock rims. The tires rubbed on the fenders. My rig is a work truck, so I rolled the fenders with a wood rod from the coat closet. If you plan to go to a car show, DO NOT do this. I do not recommend keeping split rims unless this is 100% resto/show only.

The question of "all original" is something each of us has to address in his own way. I chose to keep the rig as close to stock as possible, with upgrades in invisible places (12v internally regulated alternator, electric wipers, dual-stage power brakes). Whatever you decide, assume that you will have to disassemble everything, ESPECIALLY if you're getting some else's half-done project.

Best of luck,
    Hedgehog

"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog

4. monumentdad

monumentdad Member

Thanks for the responses, Guys. I was ready to get the one-ton but after hearing what you had to say I think it's too much project for me. Glad to get good info before buying a mistake. Any idea where to keep looking besides the usual places? Thanks again.

5. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

AutoTrader has a sister publication, TruckTrader, that has some good listings from time to time. In this area there's a newspaper called Little Nickel that deals mostly with estate sales and the like, if you have a local version that's what I would look for.

One thing I would definately recommend is find out what local businesses sell parts and service for the year(s) you're interested in and go introduce yourself. Often times there's a bulletin board with rigs for sale pinned all over it. The old man behind the counter used to have one of (insert truck here) and probably knows someone that could be convinced to part with his... you know the story.

"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog