V8 Radiator Swap

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by jrcovington, Jun 15, 2001.

1. jrcovington

jrcovington Member

I have a 64 C10 that came equipped with a 6 cylinder, probably a 230, and now has a 73 350 stuffed in it. The original radiator doesn't keep the engine cool enough, and I have bought what was supposed to be a V8 radiator. The problem is that it does not fit down into the retainer brackets because the radiator is both to wide for the frame where the retainers are, and to thick for the original retainers. The brackets/baffles and seals are also very different. Did Chevy make a change in the way they mounted the radiators, and did they have to go to a larger capacity radiator? This will be a problem here in Alabama, since the heat is really starting to rise, and I don't want to over heat this engine. I have a 180 degree thermostat in it and it still goes right up to 200 + degrees after the engine has been run for awhile. Would a later model C10 have the bracket/baffles and retainer setup I need?

Thanks.

John

2. Rick

Rick Member

Sounds like you need part number 78-758 look and see if this will help you out
    http://www.chevyduty.com/forum_pics/retainer.jpg
    Rick Bradley
    tech2@chevyduty.com
    816.741.8029 ext. 500
    816.741.5255 fax

3. jrcovington

jrcovington Member

Rick,

That would take care of the bottom retainers, do you have anything for the top retainer/support bracket? We will also
    need different baffles, and possibly a fan shroud. Is the shroud listed in your catalog for the older six cylinder or later V8 models?

Thanks for the help.

John