New shocks/alignment after lowering

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Russm, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Russm

Russm Member

We just lowered our '69 - 3" in the rear and 2" in the front (both from stock height) using just the lowering coils. It seems to me that logically you shouldn't have to use different shocks. The back seems to ride fine - we've been driving it for two weeks since we did it. But we just did the front today. Initially I thought the shocks should be shorter, but it seems like the standard shocks are not going to bottom out before the truck hits the stop bumpers anyway. Does anyone know the poop on this for sure? Or have an educated opinion? Second question, and I think the answer is yes - do I need to have the front end aligned since we lowered it?

2. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne Guest

RE: New shocks/alignment after lowe

HELLO,

YEP YOU'RE RIGHT, DOING AN ALIGNMENT IS ALWAYS SMART AFTER ANY MODIFICATIONS TO THE FRONT SUSPENSION.
    YOU SHOULD BE FINE WITH THE STOCK SHOCKS AND YOU ARE CORRECT IN ASSUMING THAT THE BUMP STOPS WILL CONTACT BEFORE THE SHOCKS BOTTOM OUT.
    TO BE SURE AND IF YOU HAVE EXTRA TIME AND ARE REALLY BORED, YOU CAN MEASURE THE TRAVEL OF THE SHOCK FROM FULL COMPRESSION TO FULL EXTENSION, THEN REMOUNT TO SEE WHERE YOU STAND.

HOPE THIS HELPS OUT.

BRANT

3. chevy70perez

chevy70perez Member

is your truck level now and how is the ride? does it look nice and is it a pain when you drive over speed bumps and those dips at the store

4. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Perez I Doubt You,ll get any response ,since the Fellow only has made 5 Posts & They are 5 years old . In case You didn,t notice. Best of luck finding Your info. Bob