several questions

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ftyler, Dec 4, 2000.

1. ftyler

ftyler Member

I'm picking up a '65 Chevy shortbed stepside this weekend. From my initial inspection this truck is in great shape.

There are a few changes that I will definitely make over time and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

1. The truck has the stock 4.11 rear end. Of course it's 6-lug coil spring. I have another 6-lug coil spring rear with 3.08 gears. Would it be easier to just change the entire axle or have someone change the gears themselves? I know that you have to REALLY know what you're doing when you set the gears.

2. Does anyone know the gear ratios of the 60s stock chevrolet 3 speed manual transmission?

3. What are good 65 chevy stepsides with good rockers, floors and cabs, rebuilt 6 cyl engine and a very solid and straight bed with Custom cab pkg going for in your areas? Oh, no air conditioning. Just curious.

Thanks.

2. Rick

Rick Member

In my opinion it would be easier to swap out the rearend. I set up gears for people it's not hard if you have the right tools for the job.(backlash gauge, pinion depth gauge etc) As for transmission gear ratio i dont know what it is sorry

Rick
    tech2@chevyduty.com

3. jamesporter

jamesporter Member

RE:axle swap

does anybody know what axles will swap out on my 66 swb. what year models will fit without any or much changing. i want to go from a 3:73 12 bolt to a 3:07 for better gas mileage.i have a 700r4 auto now.any suggestion?

4. Bowtie

Bowtie Member

The rear end swap is definatly the easiest. You can take any of the coil rear ends out of Chevy trucks up to 71-2 (I think the last year). Boy with that 700r4 you should get pretty good gas milage with your current setup. I don't think you will like the way it drives on the hwy with 3.08 and that od, see if you can go to a 3.42 unless you have really short tires.

Check out the progress on my current resto, most parts bought right here at Chevy Duty.

www.picturetrail.com/radliff

5. kychevy

kychevy Member

According to the 1960 shop manual, the gear ratios for a three speed manual are as follows:

first.....2.94 to 1
    second....1.68 to 1
    third.....1.00 to 1
    Reverse....2.94 to 1

The 61 - 62 suppliment manual refers you back to the 1960 manual.

Hope this helps.

kychevy

6. Robert

Robert Administrator Staff Member

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-01 AT 09:38 AM (CST)[/font][p]http://www.picturetrail.com/radliff

7. hay wagon

hay wagon Member

FTYLER I HAVE THE ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUEL FOR MY 65 1/2 LONG BED
    IT'S OUT IN THE TRUCK RIGHT NOW SO I CANN'T GIVE YOU ANY INFO FROM IT BUT FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTION INTHE FUTURE IT HAS THE
    GR. INFO FOR 3 SPDS AND 4 SPDS