New guy With a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by big&tall, Jan 25, 2009.

1. big&tall

big&tall Member

Hey guys, New guy from Ky here with a few questions. Oh and my name is Ben So far my only set in stone plans are headers

1.) Ive got a 1985 k20 4wd. Its got a fresh STOCK Crate GM Goodwrench 350 four bolt main. What is the MAX lift I can go with a new cam without getting new pushrods and springs etc.? Also looking for a cam that has a noticeable idle and pick up a few ponies but still streetable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2.) What kinda HP Gains am I looking at with a new intake and cam? how do I match the cam to the intake?

3.) Also,What kind of carbs are everyone running? What is the best one for mild performance but still streetable.

Basically, Im looking for a way to pep up my 350. Let me know what you guys think and here are a few pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. big&tall

big&tall Member

Anybody? no suggestions?

3. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Howdy and welcome....nice truck you got there.
    Anyway to answer some of your'e ?? you can go to the local auto parts house
    and if they know what they are doing they can match everything up for you.Or better yet if you have a speed shop near you go talk to them.
    Are you looking for purely speed or maybe a sleeper? If you are gonna drive this truck everyday then you might want to look at some street cams. Edlebrock makes some really good cams and intake set ups. I have two trucks one is a 1983 with a 327 in it and its set up to drive everyday and do good on gas, and then I have a 1965 with a 283 sleeper in it. I am running an edlebrock 650 carb on both and they are good for power and gas mileage.
    Depending on what you had done to the motor sometimes a simple intake and carb will be all you need. There are alot more people on here that can answer more. Hope this helps you. Good Luck!!

4. David Hall

David Hall Member

1- In addition to the headers install a full dual exhaust (2 1/2") with good aftermarket mufflers (flowmaster). Call JEGS and or SUMMIT RACING and talk to the tech rep. about cam, intake and carb setups.
    2- Not as much as you think, 15-25 if that
    3- Holley, easier to tune

5. big&tall

big&tall Member

Im really just looking for a lil more pep. The truck is a dog the way it sets now. Ive already got the exhaust except for the headers. What about the edelbrock preformer intakes and cams?

6. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Note: look at what "David Hall" said contact Summit or Jegs
    they will be able to help or go to the local parts house and ask them.
    Edldebrock makes some really good cams and intakes. When I bought the cam for my 65 it had a stat sheet in it and told what kind of intake to use, but I also had heads reworked along with everything else. Each cam is differnt, they are set up for simple and complete rebuild. Hope this helps.

7. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

if its a dog, you may want to look at your gearing. you may want to change it up.
    without the right gearing, alot of horsepower isnt going to make you happy.

8. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

cam advice

Edelbrock makes fine intakes & carbs. I agree with the above recommendations-650cfm should be (more than) sufficient.

If you decide to go with a cam, stick to Crane Cams. Jegs offers the "Blue Racer" cam & lifter kit. I recommend the smallest cam if you're sticking with stock springs, etc. Lift is .420/.443 duration @.050 is 204, 214. This cam is comparable to the old TRW TP187 cam. It also comes with anti-pump up lifters. These lifters (also made by Rhoads) smooth out idle & increase vacuum, but act more like solid lifters in higher RPM's. Jeg's part #270-WG1103K entire kit should be about $122.99. Do yourself a favor and invest $25 into a new Cloyes double roll timing set while you're down there. Check out NorthernAutoParts for gasket kits...can't beat their sbc prices.

I ran the TP187 version in the sportsman circle track class with a '75 Malibu (heavy car). Had good torquey pull out of the corners and a smooth top end, yet met the rule of 15 inches of vacuum @ 700rpm at the post race inspection. I will also be putting this kit into my Jaguar.