gas tank filler hose

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by willg54, Jun 18, 2001.

1. willg54

willg54 Member

I just bought a fuel cell kit a few weeks ago, and the filler spout on the tank is 1 1/4 inch o.d. The filler spout from my gas cap down is about 2 inch. I want to run fuel line from behind my rear license plate up to the right side of my fuel tank that`s mounted behind the rear axle.How can I go about finding and fitting hose for this. The only 1 1/4 inch fuel line I can find around here is about 60 cents per INCH, and it is not very flexible. Is there some kind of adapter that will go from the 1 1/4 inch spout off the tank to the 2 inch filler spout that I have? Is there special 2 inch hose that I should use, or can I just use radiator hose. Same question if I have to use 1 1/4` hose off the tank. I was told that if I use radiator hose, however, that the gas will eventually deteriorate it, causing problems by contaminating the fuel with `melted` rubber. Does anyone out there have an idea that will help me. If so, it would be much appreciated. THANKS!

2. Rick

Rick Member

Well first off is your fuel cell above or below your license plate filler? and no you can not use radiator hose as your filler hose. It will deteriorate and get into your fuel system and clog your fuel filter
    Rick Bradley
    tech2@chevyduty.com
    816.741.8029 ext. 500
    816.741.5255 fax

3. willg54

willg54 Member

Hi Rick,
    My filler opening on the fuel cell will be about 1 inch lower than my filler tube opening behind the licence plate. So, I'm hoping there will be enough downhill slope to let the gas fill the tank without backing up on me while I fill. What do you think? And how can I reduce my tube from the 2 inch filler tube opening to the 1 1/4" opening on the fuel cell? The o.d. is 1 1/4", and the i.d. is about 3/4". I wonder why this fuel cell was made with such a small opening?! I ordered it through GMCPauls. Don't worry, though, I HAVE ordered some of my things through ChevyDuty. :):)

4. monster truck

monster truck Member

Rick, go to a local muffler shop that uses a mig welder, let them make you a adapter pipe from 2" to 1 1/4" and weld it to your filler neck, then you can use the same size fill hose from the neck to the tank. Sounds simple, hope it will be for you. A good man behind the mig gun can weld you a leak proof seam. Good Luck
    Johnnie