gauges

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Justin, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Justin

Justin Member

I have recently installed a factory gauge cluster in my 1965 half ton. I think the gauges are out of a 1 ton or larger truck in 65 or 66. My question is regarding the amp/voltmeter gauge. What is it, ampmeter or voltmeter? Thanks.

2. my64bowtie

my64bowtie Member

What kind of numbers are on it?
    More than likely it is an amp guage.

3. Justin

Justin Member

It doesn't have any numbers, just lines. There is a "d" on the left side and a "c" on the right side.
    Thanks.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

That is most likely an AMP meter that simply measures if the system is drawing juice from the battery (d = discharge) or not, (c=Charge). The best is right in the middle, but you can count on rarly seeing that. If you notice, when you turn your lights on at idle the meter will dip into the "d" zone and for a really big dip turn the blower motor on !

It indicates that, because at idle, the generator/alternator is not supplying enough power to run the accessories so the battery takes up the slack. ( it is common for a alternator rated at 60 amps to supply half of that at idle) While running at 2,000 rpm the meter will be in the middle or charge position. Which means the gen/alt is supplying enough power to run everything and re-charge the battery.

5. Justin

Justin Member

Thanks for the help, I had heard that they were volt meters and that didn't work so I assumed that it was an amp meter. Once again thanks for the help I appreciate it.