engine help

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by mikef, Jun 21, 2001.

1. mikef

mikef Member

I have a problem. My engine (292ci) keeps on tring to stall and makes a whoosing noise when ever press the gas to fast. I have to give it the gas very slow to keep it from hesitating and When im sitting at a stop and try to go my truck tries to stall again. I have to give it alot of gas when I let out the clutch to keep it from stalling. The weird thing is that if im driving and press the gas fast and hard it dosent hesitate. I think I can kinda hear the whoosing noise. It never did this before. I dont know if it is the hotter wheather or its the new intake and exhaust manifold my mechanic put on. He got used parts original parts. The old ones had many cracks. I put on a new hei to replace the points to see if that was the problem but it was not. It dosent seem to stall as bad when I have the choke out just a hiar while driving( It seems to be the case). And after driving the truck for about a half an hour, shut it of for a minute and start it againit will hardly idle and dose the whooshing thing again for a secound when I press the gas again. Can U all help me.

thanks

mikef

2. Chb46

Chb46 Member

Sounds like a vaccum leak, maybe the gaskets on the intake to head? Maybe carb gasket? Still it sounds like avaccum leak.

Chb46

3. mikef

mikef Member

hello all!

I think I found the problem. Today I was looking down the carb while I pressed the gas hard so It would make the whoosing noise from the carb. When I did that I saw a spray of fuel come from the side of the carb where the top part meets the bottom part. Its the 1 barrel rochester on the 292. Is this normal? I dont think it did it before.

Thanks

mikef

4. Biggy

Biggy Member

I having the same damn problem with my 292 but what im going to do is get a carb kit. The mechanic says that it will fix the problem. I think thats what you have