Stopping by 64 Chev 1/2 ton

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Ozzie, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Will 79 Chevy 1/2 ton brakes and cross member fit in two the 64 Chevy frame. Also I would like to talk to any that has shorten up a long bed frame on the do's and don’ts, same for the fleet side bed Thank you Ozzie

2. bob39666

bob39666 Member

Hey I have a 66 and one of my friends said that anything from a 67-87 should work along with the power steering box. I haven't done this to mine yet but I am planning on it. If you decide to do it let me know how it goes. Thanks

3. Craig

Craig Guest

Shorting the frame is a big job.You must make several key cuts and provide sufficent bracing to make sure the frame doesn't flex or bend.Alot of people have done it,so it can be done.But you will need good fabrication skills and be a great welder.
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

4. ftyler

ftyler Member

From what I've read on the net of dozens people who've done this, you'll be time-, money- and headache-ahead if you just sell your current longbed and buy the body/frame style that you like.

The jobs are often over-budget and the results sub par.

Just get your current vehicle in sell-ready condition as cheaply as possible, be very patient, save up some money, and buy the best shortbed step/fleet side pickup you can afford. You won't be sorry.

-ftyler