Newbie looking for info

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by wancosc356, Apr 11, 2009.

1. wancosc356

wancosc356 Member

Hey guys. Ive been checking out this forum for a little while and just joined. You guys have alot of knowledge. I would appreciate a little help with a vehicle purchase. Here is what Im looking to do.

Im looking to buy a 1967-1972 C10 or newer....due to the suspension, engine and rear end. What I would like to do is swap a 1947-1954 3100 Cab, bed and other panels on the frame. Im just curious how easily this could be done and what would need to be done. Im also curious if i need to find a short bed or long bed? Or if I need to look for a different setup.

The reason for doing this is that I love the look of a 1947-1954 pickup, but do not have the money or experience to weld up a new front suspension or a V8 swap. I know alot of people use the S10 frame swap, but I know there are negative and positives to that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I tried to used the search function and could not find any info on this being done. Thanks for your help.

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Tell us your first name and where you live. We don't bite too hard!;)

When you say 3100, that narrows it down to a 1/2 ton truck. Wheelbase of 116" on the AD trucks. The wheelbase of the short bed '67-72 1/2 ton trucks is 115". Everyone who loves and knows AD's know about the fact that the rear axle is not quite centered in the middle of the wheelwell. It is about a 1 1/2" closer to the front. Using a 67-72 frame would compound that issue. If you thought about using a 67-72 long wb frame and a 3/4 ton bed, it would almost be a perfect fit. 3/4 ton AD wb is 125 1/4" vs 127" wb on the long box 67-72.

The next thing that you would need to address is width of the front and rear ends to make sure that you've got the "right look" for your modified AD. Next is how to attach the cab to the frame and how much fabrication would be involved in that. The newer frame would have to then be modified to accept brackets for the running boards.

Lastly, and this is crucial! The radiator support is the key to any kind of swap! EVERY piece of the front end depends on the placement of the radiator support. It ties the front fenders in, which dictates how the hood lines up, how the grille is attached, etc etc etc!

I know this is a lot to swallow, but think about it and don't get discouraged. Think it out, take lots of measurements, ask questions, never doubt your abilities and most of all, have fun!

Ken

3. wancosc356

wancosc356 Member

My name is Michael. Im in Albuquerque, NM. Haha.

When I say 3100, I just mean the cab and body. I would like to use a 47-54 Cab and a short bed. I would like to mount it to the 67-72 frame. I would be keeping the 67-72 suspension intact with the frame. What I guess Im really getting at is will the cab and bed fit on that frame....with welding new mounts and altering the firewall of course.

Is the cab gonna be wide enough to it on the C10 frame and is the cab/bed/body gonna be long enough and match up with the wheel base? Also, with keeping the suspension and axle from the C10 on the frame, will the wheels and tires tuck inside the fender wells correctly or will they stick out?

Any chance anyone out there has done this? or used a newer c10 frame and suspension?

Im going for the rat rod look. I think I would have the cab channelled onto the frame. Not sure about anything though. Just toying with ideas and possibilities. Thanks

Thanks Ken for all the advice. I understand about the radiator support and everything else lining up. Oh, Im sure it will be fun. Haha