Cowl Cold Air Intake/Air Cleaner

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Vin63, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Vin63

Vin63 Member

I did a couple of searches, but did not find it...

I thought I had read a thread about someone using the removeable panel opening to the cowl (removeable panel above the heating unit) on the passenger side for a cold air source and ducting to a factory-type air cleaner housing. Does anyone have the link or photos to that thread? Thanks in advance.

2. Vin63

Vin63 Member

...maybe not. Well, I'm going to fabricate an intake similar to the 1963 Z-11s. Anyone else interested in something like this? I just need a suitable air cleaner housing to hack up, perhaps a 16-inch diameter single snorkel air cleaner housing. Any recommendations?

[​IMG]

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi Vinnie,

I was watching this thread after the first post. I was hoping someone came up with a pic. From your description I thought of the early 409's that tore up the compition with that setup.

I guess I'd look for Buick or Olds air cleaners to start.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

DV

4. Vin63

Vin63 Member

Thanks! Yep, those are exactly the air cleaner housings I'm looking at to cut up - I figure mid-60s through mid-70s. I knew that box of old 2.5-inch scrap exhaust tubing bends that my wife keeps bugging me to toss out would come in handy some day. :)

5. joe231

joe231 Member

here is one
    [​IMG]

6. Vin63

Vin63 Member

That's basically what I plan on doing, but with a wider oval ducting and as much steel as possible to smooth the air flow - maybe use a short 6-inch piece of bellow for engine movement.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  7. 65Custom

65Custom Member

I'm with you guys

I was planning something very similar, since there is a lot of air coming off the windshield sorta like forced induction on the cheap