Wiring Harness - alternator

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by cosmo1957, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cosmo1957

cosmo1957 Member

Since this harness has no provision for fuses, I installed a fuse for the headlamps and probably shoud put one from main power supply? Any suggestions ? I cannot yet figure out how to get this thing to charge...If anyone has used the standard harness w/alternator ....maybe you can help me out? truck runs..got dash lights, fuel guage etc...but I cant figure out ampmeter connections to get it to charge ? HELP !!.......
    Thanks
    Shawn

2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

wiring harness, alternator

I had the same problem, had my alternator converted to a one wire alternator, if it is turning, it is charging. problem solved. I have BDO gauges so I used their instructions and gauge works great. Good luck to you.

3. a56cameo

a56cameo Member

charging problem

if you have integrated volt-reg alternator and it has a 2 wire plug,take the large wire and loop it to the batt.term on back of alt,then run the smaller wire ti a swiched circuit that will power it when key is turned on such as on ign.switch,this should do it,the only prob. is finding the right hot wire on ign.if you hook to wrong on sometimes truck will not shut off when key is turned off,I know this works but been many years since I done it,but the small wire is the trigger to turn it on.

4. chevymantrucks

chevymantrucks Member

Hey,
    If you have a harness from classic truck parts Take the black wire from the plug and hook it to the hot on the back of the alternator.It will charge then it fields the regulator inside the alternator.I had the same trouble and that did the trick.

Cliff

5. cosmo1957

cosmo1957 Member

Thanks man,,,,That was the problem ,,I had that connection going to ground.

All good now......

cheers

Shawn