Out with the old, in with the new.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by WHITEBULL, Apr 24, 2009.

1. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

I am pulling the stock original 216, 3speed trans, stock rear end, and steering column with the 3 on the tree assembly this weekend.
    They are being replaced with a sm350 which is mostly stock, a HD TH400, and a 67 Chevelle rearend.
    Does anyone have a need for these older units? I'm not trying to get rich selling these, just want them to go to someone who would put them to good use. The motor turns over, but has not been started in 25 yrs, the tranny shifts, at least I know the linkage works, the rear end ? turns, the column works fine.
    Before I try to sell these, or give them away, I would like any input from people who have done this swap.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. mylow53

mylow53 Member

sounds like a good idea. one question why the th400? it seem over kill. 700r with od is pretty nice for gas milage. i heard the 400's take addition hp to move since there designed for high hp
    GT

3. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Its been rebuilt, and it has low miles, they are very stout tranny's, and I got it for a very good price. I think with the right gearing, it should be fine for my needs. The motor should put out good power........if not, I'll beat it into submission until it does!:):)

4. mylow53

mylow53 Member

you have it already then use it! but i cant remember the exact number but if your dropping in a standard 350 @ 290 hp and the 400 takes an extra 40 hp you might notice the difference. the 400 can take what ever you can beat it with and still be fine... I'm driving my 700r on the freeway now in la and i have no problem keeping up with traffic. and crusing in od. the tranz only required a kick-down cable and the brake light feed. no computer not even a 12 volt source
    post your build picks
    Good luck
    GT

5. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Thanks, I will post some pics throughout my build. This is my first time doing this, so I'm sure there will be ALOT of trial and error. Pulling the entire drive train out this weekend, then I will prep the firewall and engine bay. The wiring is pretty much shot, so it looks like a new harness is in order. I have a Flaming River column, front disc brakes, power steering, and shock relocation to install before the motor and trans goes in. I'm in no hurry, so just going to try keep it sanitary. I'm not building a show truck, just a fun weekend cruiser. Good thing about the motor is, if I need more ponies, they're pretty easy to find.......all it takes is mo money!

BTW, very sweet ride you have there GT........maybe someday........

Ron

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  6. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

private message

Hey Ron
    i sent you a message with a phone number so give me a call when you get it thanks
    Robert