Fuel Cell - Gas Tank whats the dif?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by ND_Truck, Nov 5, 2003.

1. ND_Truck

ND_Truck Member

Hey all,

I know this is a pretty newbie question, but i just don't know what the difference between a fuel cell and a traditional gas tank is.

are there benefits of one over the other?

thanks,
    -ML

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I would say that a fuel cell is primarly used in a race, or pro street, tyoe vehicle. They are usually mounted inside the trunk or other area where they are protected. They contain no baffeling as they are designed for vehicles that go in a straight line, or around a oval track. It is a racing, fuel containment system.

A Tank, is meant to be used in all types of normal conditions. They contain baffeling to prevent fuel from sloshing away from the pick-up under normal driving conditions. They are made of material that allow them to be installed in areas of the vehicle that may expose them to road hazards.

Dennis

3. ND_Truck

ND_Truck Member

RE: Fuel Cell - Gas Tank

Ok thanks, that is pretty mych what i thought the difference was.

-ML

4. tclederman

tclederman Member

RE: Fuel Cell - Gas Tank whats the

The definition of a fuel cell as known to race car drivers is given above. Ask a scientist or engineer and the answer is:

FUEL CELL. An electrochemical device that continuously changes the chemical energy of a fuel (hydrogen) and OXIDANT (oxygen) directly to electrical energy and heat, without combustion. The electrical process causes hydrogen atoms to give up their electrons. It is similar to a battery in that it has ELECTRODEs, an ELECTROLYTE, and positive and negative terminals. It does not, however, store energy as a battery does. Because there is no combustion, fuel cells give off few emissions; because there are no moving parts, fuel cells are quiet. Fuel cells can be used in stationary applications like generating electricity or heating buildings, and for powering vehicles, buses and trains. Fuel cells are at least twice as efficient as gasoline engines.

Tim

5. 78subgeorge

78subgeorge Member

The ATL website says that a racing fuel cell is a crash-resistant non-exploding gas tank.

See:
    http://www.atlinc.com/fuelcell.htm

6. smoov330

smoov330 Member

You can use a "fuel cell" in a every day driver. They are very impact resistant.True some dont have a baffel but they do offer a foam lined cell that keeps the fuel from sloshing around.Most regular tanks dont have baffels , especially older vehicals.Some fuel cels even have provisions for sending units and most companies offer them. The only draw back I see with a fuel cell is you have to come up with a creative way to mount it where it wont be seen and a way to fill it up.