51 burb

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Found this yesterday. He won't sell, been in the family too long. Great example of untouched engine well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the oil filter hookup...
    [​IMG]

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oh , BATSH*T

Another good truck going to rust away to scrap .:mad:

If ever I saw a truck worthy of a $40,000.00 Concours restorastion , that's it .

3. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

It's not that I disagree with ya Nate, 'cuz that would be a perfect restoration project, but personally I would update the mechanicals on it to being in safe driving condition and drive the snot out of it just as it sits. I love the aged looking patina...it's a sickness, disorder, disease...whatever you want to call it!:(

4. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Wow!
    That's way too cool. It would be a pretty big project to rstore, but you can see the history in it. Great timing by the way, I was looking for the correct placement of the pedal return springs. There they are in beautiful color shot of the engine compartment. Thanks!..........Mike

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Resto-Rodding

I know it well and i was there as a youth as it's only original ONCE however , be aware that rust never sleeps so putting a vehicle like this back on the road as-is, will kill it in a couple years unless you work assidiously to clear coat over all the rusty bits top and bottomside.....

You needn't ' update the running gear ' to make it a daily driver , simply replace the ring & pinion with Patric's 3.55 one , do the brakes and install the correct size LT 16" tires and it'll zoom right along and you'll have a nice driver .

One of my best freinds went through this stage in his 20's and I told him " it's in a stte of arrested decay " :rolleyes:

6. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

I have to stop looking at this thread. I am not even finished with my first project truck and I have already thought about a '51 Burb as my next one. It pains me to see people that want to hang on to their mountains of vintage tin. If it were for emotional reasons (can't imagine why when they have dozens of rust buckets), I would be happier if someone resurrected it.

My current project is an original resto, but for this Burb I would make an exception and put it on a new frame and drivetrain to make it a smooth everyday road vehicle. I might even customize it to the extent of putting in second doors.. suicide maybe?

Greg

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I would like one to make a family cruizer. I would put in a more modern chassis, dakota or durango maybe, and newer complete fuel injected engine. Keep it fairly simple, mild custom. Something the wife could drive the kids in.