Stretching "The Smog Limit"

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by GMC Guy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. bodycount

bodycount Member

*sigh my truck is 1985, i want to put a brand new 350 in it but i cant because of CA smog laws

2. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

If you're talking about a crate 350, you may want to talk to a smog referee about what you can do. I'd think for a new block you just need the smog equipment that originally came on your truck. If you don't have those parts, smog ref should be able to tell you what you need.

3. bodycount

bodycount Member

no its out of my neighbors el camino that he dont want

4. 85silverado4x4

85silverado4x4 Member

well here in WV i think they are thinkin about having emission laws, but most people where my grandparents live take all emission crap off. Mine is an 85 which ORIGINALLY had emission junk but the owners before my uncle took them off and unplugged the computer so they could put a 400sbc to pull a race car in. and when we got new exhaust we didn't think for a sec to put emission stuff on it since it has 380+hp. I just hope they don't on ALL or im SOL cause mines a daily driver.

5. baad

baad Member

dam I'm luck here in cal i own a 73 stepside and a 74 fleet side no smog 4 me but I'm really sweating if that pass that bill there trying

6. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

ya as of now if you have a 75 or older then you're ok, but anything newer, like mine, you're SOL...
    i've been looking for a 73, 74, or 75 short bed 2wd. so basically use the cab and swap all the good parts from my truck onto it. that way i'd have a smog exempt truck, without losing all the money i've poured into my 79. but thats a big project, i'll probably have to wait til summer when school is out :D

7. baad

baad Member

bakersfield and Fresno junk yard or pick a part had a few last time i went just 4get what 1 i live in the middle of both but i was look 4 part 4 buddy
    but u may want to look there