Radiator when swapping to a V-8

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by WHITEBULL, May 6, 2009.

1. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Is there any particular radiator for a V-8 swap? I am putting a sm350 in my 50 p/u, and I was told that the stock radiator was not sufficient. Is this true, and if it is, are there any other stock applications I could find which would be a close fit? I have priced the aftermarket radiators, and they are very pricey.:eek:

Thanks,
    Ron

2. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

It depends on 1) if your SBC is stock, 2) how you drive, and 3) if you live in the hot parts of country. Many guys run the stock rad, but many end up upgrading.
    I have a Walker but they are pretty pricey $800+. If your rad is in good shape you can start out using it and if it proves to be unreliable buy something else. One word of warning, if your rad needs rodding out and other repairs junk it.

3. coilover

coilover Member

A stock radiator in GOOD condition will cool a V8 very well. One that is dirty or patched won't. We did a 51 GMC with a 500 Cadillac engine that uses a six cylinder radiator and has a/c. Cools fine on the road or around town in Texas. A good electric fan mounted correctly will also help.

4. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Thanks for the input.......This radiator is in good condition EXCEPT it has 2 bullet holes in it! I will take it to a repair shop and get an expert opinion on it before the install. So no other stock radiator from another vehicle will work?
    I have looked around, and coming up with zip.
    Thanks again,
    Ron

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I bought a 4 core desert cooler for my 350.....it still gets hot. I now have an electric fan to put on it,

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Cooling It

As Evan said , the stock radiator is more than sufficient for any V-8 engine , regsrdless of displacement .

It should be cleaned out and have all the tubes in working order , some ripoff shops will pinch off a few leaky tubes , usualy right in the center where they're most needed.

Adding an electric pusher fan helps in low speed trsaffic like commuting and parade duty .

An honest radiator shop will install a brandy newFOUR row core for under $350.00 using your old tanks .

Anyone who has cooling issues has another problem , the stock three row core is plenty and then some .

My '49 came to me from the Barrio and had a two row Granda radiator ! :eek:
    it cooled just fine but looking at it drove me crazy so I hunted up a $25.00
    desert junker radiator just to get the tanks and flanges , had a four row core installed and all is well even overloaded in Death valley's 125° heat .

proper tuning etc. is more important than buying a $700.00 custom radiator .

7. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Again, a wealth of good information! Nate, I thank you for your input........these radiators look like they're built pretty stout, so no skimping on the rebuild, and keep the motor running as it should.