starting a rebuild of a 73 step side

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by baad, May 7, 2009.

1. baad

baad Member

i got my step side about 6 months ago and i want to restore it but im an a low budget i use most of my saving re building the top end of the engine and now i don't know where to go not due to this is now my every day driver i can start any where but i don't know where to go from there any suggestion

Attached Files:

2. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D....well depending on how the truck runs now?? I would leave the motor alone until something comes up.....not to knock you or say you did wrong but most of the time when doing a rebuild its better to start from the bottom up or inside out. It has been my experince that if you do it this way everthing else is a cake walk. Anyway if this is not a daily driver I would check everthing else out, drivetrain, brakes, rotors, wheel bearings .....then make sure all your wiring is in good shape and make sure all gauges work propaley.
    Then after all that is done if the truck needs body work its a good time to learn, that way if you make any mistakes, you can sand it ,grind it or restrip it and start all over. Also what ever body parts you need start looking around and get prices. Good Luck....:D

BTW, If you want to replace the interior this would be a good time to do this also.
    Hope this helps.

3. David Hall

David Hall Member

Excellent advice TC.

If money is an issue ( not being able to tear it down a put it right back together), I like to start with the wheels and brakes. Inspecting and replacing whats neccessary as I go. Packing wheel bearings and replacing all seals is also done. Once all four corners of the vehicle are good and solid move on to the steering components. In this area I replace all the ball joints and tie rod ends followed by a front end alignment by a shop or garage.

Once it rolls, steers and stops, you can go two different routes.

1. Engine, then body.

2. Body, then engine.

I prefer to make the engine/ exhaust problem free but not nice looking ( or finished to say). After every thing is sound, this when the body and paint get done. Only because dust, dirt and over spray get on everything. Once body and paint are complete but not assembled, pull the engine and transmission going through them rebuilding or replacing. When the truck is back together with the finished engine/ transmission and transfer, install the rest of the body panels and moldings.

The interior is done next, some parts can be installed any time during the build but I like to leave the finishing pieces last ( dash pad, door panels, etc).

When all is complete, wet sand the body and buff.

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Very good tips on both parts.
    (1) Brakes if you build like most they like to do motor body then steering or brakes. By that time they start thinking of brakes, if they lucky to have not hit something or someone. Because the brakes failed or could not do the job for the mods to the motor & :(smashed the truck.

5. GMC Guy

GMC Guy Member

i started with gutting the whole interior out of my truck, and replaced everything, sound deadner, carpet, seat cover, dash pad, instrument bezel, headliner etc.. i also painted everything black before starting reassemble (a little black spray paint can go a long way). next i replaced all 4 tires (bfg radial t/a's :D) and had all the brakes re-done. best money spent so far, handles like a new car...well sorta :p And i just got done detailing the engine compartment, looks a lot better. like Pontiac said, i'd start from the ground up, making sure it's safe to drive and that'll give you a better piece of mind when you're beefing up that engine :D best of luck.

6. baad

baad Member

well spent to much on motor so that done 4 now but I'm trying to figure out in side or out i know it need a lot of body work but i just cant figure out where it a tight budget

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  7. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:eek:...not to be nosey, but how tight of a budget?? If you are like me {penny pincher}...:)....then I would start with the interior first its alot eaiser and cheaper. You can get pretty much all of this at your local parts house or better yet walmart. Carpet, floor mats and even seat covers. I did my interior first and then when I had a few extra $$$$ I would go scout the junk yards for all the small stuff first { knobs, lights, dash , vents and whatever else} then as if needed I would find the bigger parts. Start with the easy stuff first then as you go figure out your money and go from there. Good Luck!!

8. baad

baad Member

my budget is real tight about 200 month if im lucky but that life lol i know lot of stuff i get done i have to save 4 or spend extra time work to get more overtime in to get stuff

9. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D yeah I know what you mean, I'm on disabialitey{sp} and get one check every month, so its hard to do any work on my truck. But that's why I do alot of scouting around the junk yards, parts are cheap and there are alot of them. Take your time and you will find what you need and get it done.
    It make take you longer and yes you will get frustated but, in the long run when its done you'll be happy for the simple fact is that;
    1- You did it yourself!!!!! :D
    2- And now you have the experince to do it again if you want too.

10. baad

baad Member

i was going to replace door seal and found something i didn't like to see:( but
    want to know how :confused:bad it was so pulled out carpet and it not that bad just the rocker is shot

wondering how hard is it to replace the rocker panel on these trucks i have my old MiG welder

11. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Perty Hard to find One that aint Rusted , There Not bad to Replace really , If You Have a Mig I assume You have some experience using it :D . So Hopefully be a Piece of cake for You .

I,d Suggest against the slip over Cover, Its Just a quick fix . Get full Replacement rockers First & They will show You Perty much how They attach, 2 Things You,ll need is a Lil Grinder to get the Seam sealer out of the Front & rear , Top & Bottom Seams , Exposing the Spot Welds . Then Get a drill bit Made for drilling out those Spot welds , A little Prying & it will pop off .

Its Easier to remove the door first for the front seam BUT Makes it Tougher to Make sure Everything is alighned Properly , Which Can be A huge Factor if your Wanting it done Right . After Installed / Rewelded , Then Use a Good seam sealer, fillers to Make the seems Perty again, Prime sand & Paint & Your good to go . First side will be the Toughest , next is a Piece of cake . Hope that helps & Best of Luck . :D . Bob

12. baad

baad Member

ty sound ez but only time well tell :confused:

13. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

A lot easier than a car but just be careful of the gas tank that there is no leaks or sweating. 73-80 single gas tank on the right side, 81-87 on the left side. You might have to re move the tank to make it easier to weld if the tank on the side that the rocker is gone. Oh if you got duel tanks there on both sides up to the seatof the cab.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  14. baad

baad Member

well today i removed seat and the the rest of of the carpet as soon as i find my camera ill take pic

15. baad

baad Member

found cam but not good pic

don't look at date did reset cam just put battery in and took the shots

Attached Files:

16. David Hall

David Hall Member

That's a pretty common rust spot. Looks like you'll need a rocker and the floorboard for that side. What does the other side look like?

17. baad

baad Member

the other side look about the same but littlee better still got to clean it up a little just to see how bad it is well get som pic as soon i i clean it up
    :confused:

18. baad

baad Member

OK e1 look like after i got to passenger side it was worst than the driver side and look like i got to drop the gas tank :(dam dont know when ill be able to get this done:(

Attached Files:

19. David Hall

David Hall Member

Looks like you'll need both sides. The firewall on these trucks are also famous for rusting out also. If leaves or debris collect in the cowl, they tend to decompose and rust the firewall. Check this area also. Some how water is getting inside your cab, this needs to be found or your repairs will have to be done over and over.

After I had mine painted and the interior was NOT installed, I hosed it down with water and looked inside the cab for water. Water was all over the floor boards. Not knowing how this, or why this was happening made me dig deeper. After cleaning up the mess, I had the wife hose it down again but with me inside this time. The water was entering the cab from the fresh air holes where the kick panels bolt up. I hadn't installed the kick panels yet, but I felt better since I had found the leak.

The kick panels have a sticky foam gasket around them to seal out water. Look at yours and see if water is getting in this way.

20. baad

baad Member

kick panel door and seal r getting replaced because 1 side is missing but ty 4 the info looks like i bit off a little more than i wanted but i love this body style on the step side