1963 GMC Truck

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by misslolly, Nov 11, 2000.

1. misslolly

misslolly Member

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-00 AT 01:08 AM (CST)[/font][p][font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-00 AT 01:07 AM (CST)[/font]

My son has a 1964 GMC Truck with a 305 V-6. We are having a heck of a time finding parts. We need a fuel pump. (He put an electronic one on it and it is VERY noisy) We are also looking to put power steering on it. He is slowly but surely going to restore it but for right now he would like to keep it running. The problem we keep running into is that they tell us at the car parts places that they didn't make a 305 V-6! Help!
    I meant to say it is a 1964 but messed the title up!

2. Duffy Moon

Duffy Moon Member

I have an origonal Chilton auto repaire manual that only covers cars in the 60's up to 66. But it has a table in the back that shows all engines for GMC's, and indeed a 305-V6 is listed. It's possable, depending on the size of the truck, that the engine was low production used in a bigger truck, or someone may have put the engine in a smaller truck. FYI: The engine is called a 305, but the CID is 304.7 The bore is 4-1/4 and the stroke is 3.58 The firing order is 165432. The point gap is 0.18 The dwell is 31 degrees. The spark occurs 7-1/2 degrees BTDC. The timing mark location is on the damper. The spark plug gap is 0.30 The compression pressure is 125. Tappet clearance HOT-intake 0.12 exhaust 0.18 Valve seat angle degrees-intake 30 exhaust 45 Crankcase capacity 5 quarts. I have never seen a 305-V6 and this is all the information I have, but it does exist, so tell that to the parts man.

3. hay wagon

hay wagon Member

I DON'T KNOW WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN BUT HERE IN CA. ALMOST EVERY 60's VINTAGE GMC I'VE SEEN HAS EITHER A SRAIGHT 6 OR A V-6 305 (THIS ENGINE WAS ALSO OFFERED IN BIGGER TRUCKS AS A 405 OR THERE ABOUTS,BUT IT IS A TRUCK MOTOR NOT A CAR MOTOR.
    HAY WAGON

4. Skys65GMC

Skys65GMC Member

Hi, I am rebuilding a 1965 GMC and it too has a V-6 305. It is going to be extremely hard to find parts for the engine, but don't give up because they are out there! The 305 is great for torque but as far as fast, NOPE! I decided that this summer I am going to dump in a 383 stroker and I will have the 305 out, and if you need parts, let me know because I will practically give them to you. And just a little note, I found that for my 305 that I had to set the timing 2 degrees advance, but I don't know if that would be the same case for you! As far as a fuel pump, I have not found one, but if you wait a couple of months, I will give you mine, it isn't perfect, but it works well! Any questions you can email me at surfer1214@mediaone.net. Take it easy!

5. markabailey

markabailey Member

Try looking at NAPA and AutoZone part stores. They have always been able to get me any parts I needed for my 62 GMC with the 305 V-6 engine. You can check online with AutoZone at http://www.autozone.com, where as NAPA's website only goes back to 1970 models. They have the catalogs and resources though to get almost any part you need for them. Just visit your nearest NAPA store.

6. SEB

SEB Member

i just bought a 65 gmc w/ the 305v6 rebuilt w/ 311 miles but it had been setting for 2 years. I'm building a 350 for it now and it should be out in a few weeks if your interested. Also when i got the truck home it had a new fuel pump in the glove box . e mail if interested......sebowen@cox-internet.com

7. 62gmc4x4

62gmc4x4 Member

go to the parts store and tell them you have a 68 or 69. gmc made these v6's up til then and most part store computers go back to 68. that's where i got mine. good luck