Electrolisis

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by HP53Deluxe, May 13, 2009.

1. HP53Deluxe

HP53Deluxe Member

Hi All,

Has anyone used an electrolisis tank to remove the rust off small parts? I was thinking of using it for brake backing plates. They seem pretty easy to setup. I am just wondering if it weakens the metal or something that I shouldn't do.

Here is the post on a old tractor site on how to make one.
    http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9506

2. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

Definitely try it!

Rust Rodders use the same technique. The link to the thread below shows the same setup and there are photos posted of their results. Page 3 has an intake that came out real nice. Other photos are privvy to members only, but I can copy and paste them here if you like.

electrolisys link

This is a great explanation taken from the thread:
    Rust is a byproduct of an electrochemical reaction between positively and negatively charged electrodes in the presence of an electrolytic solution. In this case, the electrodes are the metal components found in cars. The electrolytic solution is nothing more than a fluid that facilitates an electrical flow. In this case, the electrolytic solution is the carbon dioxide and water that our cars operate in.
    For rust to exist, 2 things need to happen: oxidation and reduction. When oxygen combines with iron, it takes electrons from the iron. When that happens, the iron oxidizes (gains a positive charge) and the oxygen reduces (gains a negative charge). Once that reduced oxygen encounters a lesser or negatively charged part (through the electrolyte), it will surrender its spare electrons. When that happens, the oxygen is reducing the other metal.
    If we reverse the polarity in that oxidation/reduction process, the oxygen atoms that combined with the iron and robbed it of of it's electrons will return that oxidized iron's missing electrons and break away from the iron.
    What this means is the reduction process actually converts the oxidized material that clings to steel back to a simple iron compound

3. yodaman

yodaman Member

Don't know about the strength issue, but I used electrolysis to de-rust a '54 fender as well as a few other parts. It took a while but works pretty well for me.

JZ

4. HP53Deluxe

HP53Deluxe Member

Well I try this on a brake baking plate and the results were great. Yes, it took a while, but it was worth the wait. I took it out of the tank, then took it over to the water hose, sprayed it off, the took a wire brush to it. With very much ease, the rust just came off and I was left with a charcoal backing plate. Next primer and paint. I wish that I had taken pictures now. Highly recommended!

5. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

Techinque

Mind sharing how you did it how long it took and maybe some pictures?

6. Chiro

Chiro Member

7. HP53Deluxe

HP53Deluxe Member

Here it is after a few days and it rust pretty quickly. Next time, I will let dry and immediately prime, then paint.

IMG_1882b.jpg

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Flash Rusting

Is quite common and can be prevented by dipping the item in a dilute solution of Phosphoric Acid and distilled water...