what size carb for 235?

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by oldtruckluvr, May 12, 2009.

1. oldtruckluvr

oldtruckluvr Member

i have a 54 chevy with an all original 235 in it. it has headers and a clifford intake. i currently have a holley 390 on it and i think it is too much for the engine. any recommendations on what to do for the carb. should i jet it down, or just get a smaller 2 barrel carb? thanks

2. 48long3804

48long3804 Member

Good question. Check with this CFM Calculator

I set it at 80%, 3500RPM (guess?) came up with 190-240 CFM required....seems kinda low, but might be right on.

VWNate recommends dual carbs to allow the 235 to "breathe". Perhaps you should post this question in the 47-54 section....seems as though noone is noticing your ? here.:(

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Improved Breatinh - 6 Bangers

Indeed , the combination of l o n g intake tract and only three ports in the cylinder head means maximum efficiency will be attained from three single barrel carbys but they're a serious PIA to set up and adjust so mostly we just go with two Carter YF's and call it a day , you'll be able to blow the engine in a week with that setup and the carbys DO NOT go out of adjustment so once set up with good microninc fuel filters you're good to go , just adjust the valves , point gap (dwell to 33°) and timing every 10,000 miles and enjoy :)

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

The more cam, compression, and carburation you have the more they seem to like it.:eek: