truning prob

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by heavy chevy 4x4, May 19, 2009.

1. heavy chevy 4x4

heavy chevy 4x4 Member

i got a 79 chevy with 12 inchs of lift and i got really good truning to the left but i aint got nutting to the right i got to take half a mile truns going to the right and i need to know how to get it where i can trun left by friday casue we taking it to the beach yall plz help me :confused:

2. heavy chevy 4x4

heavy chevy 4x4 Member

i mean get it to trun to the right

3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Have you checked to make sure nothing is hitting? If that's not your problem, I'd check to make sure the steering box is centered. Make sure the wheels are straight and disconnect the draglink from the pitman arm on the steering box. Then turn the steering wheel lock to lock counting how many turns and go halfway back to find center. Adjust your draglink for any change.

I'd also jack up the front and check for worn parts, but since its only in one direction it sounds like the steering box isn't centered.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  4. David Hall

David Hall Member

As NerfHerder said, your draglink will need to be lengthend,??
    After centering the steering gear box, adjust the drag length to get same amount of turns right and left. This will get you close, but I would still recommend getting a front end alignment. On these trucks the toe in/ out is about all you can adjust without shimming the diff. I enclosed some pics to show the draglink.

Attached Files: