Engine and trans swap

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by cherry63, Nov 29, 2001.

1. cherry63

cherry63 Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-01 AT 12:45 PM (CST)]I have just begun ground up on my 1963 longbed fleetside. The Truck has either a 235 or a 250 inline six which i don't really care to much for. It also has a 4 speed muncie trans which i believe is out of a car. I pulled the body and bed off, and I am currently taking the frame down and repainting it.
    I am planning on either putting in a 350cu. 350hp, or a 400 block 383stroker. I already have a turbo 400 trans out of a 76' 3/4 ton.
    I was wondering what I'm going to have to do for a transmission crossmember and engine mounts? My uncle told me that the engine mounts out of a V-8 283 from that year should work. I haven't got the slightest idea. Any help on the subject would be much appreciated

2. speedball

speedball Member

I used a 70's vintage cross menmber for my setup. I put a 350 with a 700r4 in my 64 and the fit was just right. The front motor mounts fit the stock (283 v8) platforms and the trans cross member was located based on the mount on the transmission tail shaft mount. Once located properly I match drilled the frame (8 places) and used Grade 8 hardware for mounting. I had to drill out the rivits from the old trans mount and throw it away. Also, I needed to take out the e-brake cross member for clearance reasons. It may fit ok with the shorter 400 TH youre using. I also had to shorten my drive shaft to accomodate the longer trans and weld on the proper yoke to driveshaft.
    Check my web page for details.
    http://www.geocities.com/richmond2_99/64PU.html

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Speedball, What did you do for an e-brake after the swap?
    Did you go with a foot operated e-brake? but more important, how did you resolve the cable connection to the rear wheels?

Thanks,

Dennis

4. speedball

speedball Member

You got me Dennis! That is the only major thing I have not complteted. I ran ebrake cables from the read drums to approximates were the clevis was origionally. I plan to use my origional under steering column ebrake handle but need to devise a mechanism to attach the front cable to the rear pair.
    I havn't decided how to do this yet.

5. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I sent you an e-mail today Speedball. My eagal eye spotted the absence of the e-brake handle under the steering column and I assumed you went to a foot operated job.

I guess the mystery continues....

If you come up with something, or want to bounce an idea off a bunch of folks, post on ChevyTalk.com.

Thanks,

Dennis

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

cherry 63 do you still have the muncie 4 speed. if you do haw much do you want for it?
    cowboy:)

7. cherry63

cherry63 Member

Sorry cowboy I wish I could help you but I think I want to hold onto it for a while its a good trans. and I may need it for a future rod. good luck