starter prob 74

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by baad, May 21, 2009.

1. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

I Was Going to Mention the Bracket on the Starter but Forgot, To Many People Dont Want to Mess with putting them back on, Good Way to Tear up starters & Flex Plates, They were put on there for a Reason, Glad You got it sorted out . :D . Bob

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Here is a pic of a 305 timing cover see the timing tab dead center round right side.

[​IMG]

Have you got the right starter. oh do you still have the old starter to compar the other to see if the starter are the same size & have the same amount of gear teeth. Do you have a 152 or 168 tooth flex plate.
    All you connections are good to the starter and the fire wall (junction block). If you have right starter getting right power it should work fine.

3. David Hall

David Hall Member

Yesterday I mounted my starter on the 305 and it has three mounting holes.
    It can take a starter with diagnal or straight patterns.

Pontiac, on your picture #7 is TDC or 0 deg.

4. baad

baad Member

ok guys i was talking to my buddy he said why i was n the house him and my roommate had the starter ark where the wire was not tighin but i crawled under the is not burnt wire so i cant figure out what wrong with the ignition it will still start but not kill the the truck

5. baad

baad Member

still fighting this dam thing been drivin my roommates 91 2 work because now i have some kind of short (think 74 is mad i got the 73 lol )
    to day is my day off so hope i can find is the prob now

6. baad

baad Member

think i got it fix and the ignition is killing the truck the right way looks like after all that it was just a bad wire

7. David Hall

David Hall Member

See, now that wasn't so hard, was it.

8. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

baad: Glad you found the bad Wire connection and got it working.:)
    David Hall thanks info so far I got two different answers some said the round tube is 0 and yours of 7 .
    I will be try to sand blast the cover refinnish it then remark it . My motor was used in the winter 4 month (salt) been sitting two years work on the frame stuff . looks like it got 30 yr on the motor and it not broke in yet. I set it up as close to the way it was played by ear. I just started it two day ago it start right up after 4or 5 turns pumping after about a 1year run
    good strong still :D

9. baad

baad Member