47 gmc frame

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by beau2121, Dec 16, 2002.

1. beau2121

beau2121 Member

I would like to know what chevy frame is the closest to my 47 gmc trucks so i can do a frame swop with out a whole lot of cutting your advise would be appriciated email at k2000beau@dctexas.net

2. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

Unless your frame is bent, broken or rusted beyond repair, I would not try to replace it. I have seen hack jobs go horribly wrong when you put the truck on the road, most often steering and suspension issues.

If the frame can be saved, I would look into mechanical upgrades to brakes, steering, suspension, etc. Even if it can't be saved, I think you would have better luck and spend less money if you found a frame from another AD rather than hacking the body mounts for something not designed for that weight (also consider where the engine/tranny will be relative to the floor and firewall). Upgrade kits are everywhere; IFS/PS/PB are common items, new engine mounts are available for whatever flavor you like.

"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog