Classic Parts Store

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by WHITEBULL, Jun 5, 2009.

1. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Has anyone used the direct replacement wiring harness form the store?
    Looking at buying one for my 50. Never have done a complete wiring job before and I figure while I have the motor out, this would be a good time to replace it. Are these pretty user friendly, and is the tech support good?
    Thanks,
    Ron

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Ron, I bought my wiring harness from our host and love it. Very user friendly and easy to install.

3. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Ron, I also installed their basic harness. As long as you're staying pretty much stock and not adding a bunch of electrical accessories, it's a great value and follow by the numbers installation.

4. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

engine

is that v-8 in yet Ron???
    Robert

5. upnorth54

upnorth54 Member

I used the 6 volt harness from Classic Parts and was easy to install. I used soldered connections to tailight harness. Used the original clips and bought new firewall gromets.

6. Zig

Zig Member

Yup!

It's a good deal! Heck~ If I can do it, you KNOW it must be simple enough! I also have been impressed with Classic's tech help!;)

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

I've got our host's six volt harness in mine. If you do it yourself you'll know your ride that much better.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  8. Just Learning

Just Learning Member

I got the harness a couple years ago, and I found it extremely user friendly, and I'm an idiot! Tech help was very good too.

Just Learning

Eric

9. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Not much in the way of accessories........I am putting in a Flaming River tilt column, going to a 12 volt, and yes, I am putting in a sm 350. But no power windows, or a/c etc.
    Which harness did you all use? They have a complete direct replacement for around $500.00, then there are those you can get for under $200.00 from other sources. Not sure all of all the differences between the "universal" wiring harnesses compared to the direct replacement one, but there has to be a reson for the price difference.So far I am very pleased with all of the parts I have bought from the store, and you guys from this sight are great to deal with, so I would prefer to deal with Classic Parts for my wiring needs.

Ron

10. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Rob, hows it going? No V-8 yet.........lots of prep work involved before the motor install. I am about to fill in the holes in the firewall, and then I am putting in the power steering unit. After that, I am going to rewire the truck.
    Then I will put in the motor. Alot of time consuming prep stuff, but it has been fun. Learning alot about this truck. Any luck with finding a Suburban yet?
    Later,
    Ron

11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I haave installed 2 Its a Snap harnesses, and 1 ez wire harness, all with the mini fuse boxes. I have detailed the install in the 53 on here under how to wire an AD. When I finally get the time to finish the truck, I will finish out the post. All of these were pretty straight foreward, just follow directions and plan it out.

12. sonny42

sonny42 Member

Ron,
    I have used 5 or 6 EZ wire harnesses. they are easy to install and have circuits for anything that you will ever need.They have a very good instruction manual and all wires are marked every 6".Hope this helps.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I used the cheapo basic harness for my '49 , it cost $100.00 (then) and went right in , the '49s have a big fuse box that'll handle anything you ever need , Hot Rod or stock .

Be _SURE_ to buy and install , a new firewall grommet ! this is the ONLY time you can and 90 % of electrical fires are caused by missing rotted firewall grommets .

The harness is the same for 6 or 12 volts .

14. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Ron - I used the $149.50 one. My truck already had a fuse box and is 12v but otherwise stock. You might consider the $249.95 one if you're in need of a fuse box and going V8.

15. WHITEBULL

WHITEBULL Member

Thanks Larry, I'll check that one out for sure. Looks like a good value.
    Ron