new here, need a little advice

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by twodogbiteme, May 30, 2009.

1. twodogbiteme

twodogbiteme Member

hello everyone. i bought a 69 c-10 about a year ago from a guy who had it sitting in his back yard for about two years. i immediately drove it to the muffler shop and had duel exhaust installed on it. sounded great but the engine gave up the ghost a couple of months ago. instead of rebuilding, since i have zero experience, i opted for a 350 HO crate motor. i intend to finish this piece of the project within a few months, but my question is in regards to the transmission. i currently have the automoatic turbo 350, but will be replacing it. should i stick with the 350 or go to a 400? will they both mount up without modification? And finally, whom would you trust as far as manufacturers to buy from? Thanks for your inputs:D

2. INGRAM1943

INGRAM1943 Member

Transmission

The 400 is a stronger tranny than the 350, but it depends on your intended use. I'd opt for a 700R4, which has overdrive. Better mileage and less RPM on the highway. Check out Bowtie transmissions, they have a wide choice of Transmissions. www.bowtietrans.net

3. twodogbiteme

twodogbiteme Member

thanks for the input. after doing a cost effectiveness evaluation( thinking about what i can afford), i opted to have my th350 rebuilt by a local tranny shop that has been here for 35 years. they guarantee their work and i cost me half of what a 700r4 would have. im so close i can feel the breeze blowing through the cab as i drive it again for the first time. i should be finished with the engine swap project by the end of the month. im just waiting on a few parts to arrive.

4. drabo

drabo Member

The TH350 cost savings is only short term. Them 700R4 will run highway speeds at less RPM's in turn saving alot at the pump.