Wiring

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Arizona64, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

I need to re-wire my entire truck. I have a 64 Chevy pickup. I have no idea where to start. I'm sure some of you have done this, so, any help, tips, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Arizona64

2. argonaut

argonaut Member

You have a few options:

If you are on a budget like me shop around the local junk yards and pull harnesses out of any 64-66 pickup. The earlier ones are actually different even though they may appear the same.

If you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket then buy new harnesses from the local truck restoration shop. You can either retain the old style fuse box with all original harnesses or you can go with a new style painless wiring system or something.

Either way I suggest getting one of the factory assembly manuals for your p/u. It will be a great help because it shows detailed wiring diagrams for everything. It helped me to make a new wiring harness for my factroy air setup in my 64 because a/c stuff is hard to come by.

Oh, and I'f you are really talented I suppose you could fab all your own wiring harnesses. I have redone a couple of my own using wiring diagrams and they look great.

Good luck to you, hope this helped a little.

J

3. ChevroletC10

ChevroletC10 Member

I've got part of the harness you need on EBAY right now. I've got the fuseblock with all the underdash wiring, plugs etc.. It hasn't been cut up and I've also included the dimmer switch in the auction. Here's the address...see what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=599209671&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1008911152&indexURL=0&rd=1

4. Superman

Superman Member

Arizona64,
    I'm currently rewiring my 60 chevy truck. I think one of the easiest ways to completely rewire a vehicle, is to get a complete new harness kit. I went with an 18 circut kit from painless wire. They also offer a 12 circut one as well. In fact, they make a kit for your year pickup. My kit cost about $350.00, but it's all worth it. Well restoring a vehicle, it's always best to replace the old with the new. As long as all your switches are good, you'll be in good shape, if you have to replace them, chevy duty's stuff is really good quality.
    Superman.

5. speedball

speedball Member

I was faced with the same delema when re doing my 64. I decided to replace all of the wiring with new harnesses with some minor exceptions. One, you need to decide if you are doing a real restoration or a rodstoration. Mine was the latter so I deviated from stock where it suited my purposes. I wanted a single wire alternater for example and wanted new gages, stereo, speakers etc. As a result I ordered my harnesses from a source that would make these alterations. My only regret was I stayed with the stock fuse block where if I had to do it again would go with the modern fuse blocks. Install is straight forward and fairly simple. I took pictures before I tore mine apart and SAVE the old harnesses until you finish your installation. Check out my truck. Good luck

http://www.geocities.com/richmond2_99/64PU.html

6. my64bowtie

my64bowtie Member

After lookin through your sight..again..I didnt see where you got your wiring harness..I also want to update to HEI and an internal regulator alternator...I have found one source that does modifications..but dont hurt to shop around....and I dont like the idea of the Painless systems..to generic for me.....

7. Craig

Craig Guest

He used Factory Fit on his.They make very nice harness's.They make most of our harness's.

8. my64bowtie

my64bowtie Member

>He used Factory Fit on his.They make very nice
    >harness's.They make most of our harness's.
    Do you have the engine harness with the HEI and internal regulated alternator plugs???

9. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

Butch60stp
    I have a 60 model (four headlights) so I robbed the harness out of a 72 Impala. They both have external voltage regulators and floor mounted dimmer switches. The motor I have in my truck I got out of a 66 chevy truck so it has the same points and coil setup as the Impala did.Make sure to get the ground straps out of the donor vehicle so you won't have any pesky Gen. light staying on or any wires melting. Its basically just a matter of having a wiring diagram for your particular vehicle and following it. You can get original style connectors and make your own without much of a problem, its pretty straight forward stuff. I chose this route because I knew the harness in the Impala was good. If you are not positive about the condition of the harness in the donor vehicle save yourself the headache and just buy a new one. Thats my suggestion for what its worth, good luck.