radio delete

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by gandplowman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gandplowman

gandplowman Member

I have a 1950 chevy pickup that has a radio delete. redoing the truck but can not figure out how to attach it to the dash. It has two holes in the plate with two notches out of eash hole that lines up with the two hole with the notches in the dash also but how does it attaches. Wherte can I get wht I nees to attach the plate to the dash? Thanks Gary

2. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Radio delete buttons

Welcome aboard Gary!

You'll need a couple of these. It has been a few years since I looked for reproductions of them. They may be available now, but I rather doubt it. If not, you'll have to find originals. Someone on here may have some (parts wanted) or, of course, try Ebay.

Good luck,
    Bob

Attached Files:

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Gary, it is held on by 2 bolts with kind of a "button" head and nuts on the back side.

radio delete front.jpg

radio delete back.jpg

Pictures are always worth more than words. Hope that helps.

Ken

4. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

Ken, you sure did a beautiful job on your truck. Chris:)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  5. gandplowman

gandplowman Member

thanks guys for the information, maybe will be able to make my own if not repopped or a couple that are forsale, anyone have any dimensions? Thanks

6. booger

booger Member

Ken, whether you are fishing for compliments or not you deserve it. truck really does look great. someday ! hmmm:D

7. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I thought about making a face plate to put my air ride controls in the radio opening but then thought it may be to hot on it with the sun glaring down on it all day. Still debating the thought. What do you guys think?

8. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

hey gandplowman check out the parts for sale section and the first post in it has a radio delete for sale.

9. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

The button diameter is 13/16.

Buy them if you can, certainly not worth the time making them...and not all that rare.

Bob

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Photos are for educational purposes only

I'd never fish for compliments.;) But they are all apprecriated!

11. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Ken it wouldn't bother me if you made a thread and posted all detailed pics of that pretty truck of yours. I know thats my plan when I'm done:D

12. booger

booger Member

more pics please

13. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

Diy

A real beauty Ken. Did you do all that work yourself & how long did it take? I know you learned to drive in it :D or mabey one just like it.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Radio Delete Plates

The thing to remember is : 97 % of all AD's made had this plate so don't get suckered into paying too much for one , I still see them on otherwise totally gutted cabs out in the desert...

I like to gently wire brush the backside of the threads before unscrewing the nuts , this prevents stripping or breaking them .

I've seen a few fake radios made up using only the re-pop face plates and knobs , unless you know , it looks like you have an original radio in the dash and the parts are not terribly $pendy .

As far as using the opening for switches , why not ? you could make up a little hood for sun shading or maybe back set the switches inwards a bit to look better.....

Use your imagination ! .

15. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I hinged my blockoff plate and put the digital display for my air ride behind it. I used toggle switches to hold the whole thing in the dash, they control my siren and soon my driving lights.

16. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I like your thinking nate. I may make a box to fit in that will counter sink them into the radio box. That should keep them cooler and look pretty neat too. Chebby I'd like to see your set up to. If you got any pics please post one.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009