My mom~

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Friday, we were on our way to Columbia, Missouri to watch my nephew get married. He is my mom's only grandson that she will see. He married a teacher! (That has my vote!;))

Here's the deal.

We left here Friday at 10ish AM. Got to Collins Missouri at a little past 1:00PM. We had stopped so or party could relieve themselves. As my dad and I were talking about my garage, I saw a white haired lady come out of the store, miss a step, and go head first into the pavement. I thought,"Dang! That looks BAD! Wow~ How many old ladies wearing white could plow head first into the pavement?... WAIT! That is MY MOM!!!"

My mom is 85 years old. When we got her turned over on her backside, her left wrist flopped around. It was sickening.

Obviously, she didn't get to see her grandson get married.

She broke both arms and dislocated her right shoulder. Today was the first day that she could raise her right hand halfway to her mouth. My dad is doing a great job helping her.
    Your prayers are greatly appreciated!
    I know some day soon I will see her slip past. I'd like to stay that trip as long as I can.

Thanks guys.

2. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Dang,
    That's not what you want to see. Hope she is feeling a little better. Our thoughts are with her, and yourself. Hope she has a quick recovery. It's scary how fast our lives can change. Try to enjoy every moment the best you can. Hang in there......Mike

3. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

Wow Zig , So sorry to here this, it hurts just reading it . Thoughts & prayers from here to a speedy recovery . Bob

4. 1952Bowtie

1952Bowtie Member

Very sorry to hear about your mom, Zig. We're all hoping for the best.

Bob

5. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

sorry to hear the news zig. Our thoughts and prayers are with her.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ouch ;

I am sorry to hear this Zig , my Moms is the same age and is now wheel chair bound so we're hoping this won't happen...

I hope the nephew got hitched O.K. .

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

My grandmother triped on a rug at work and broke both wrists when she tried to catch herself. It caused her retirement. The challenge with older people is that they heal a lot slower. Make shure she does ALL of her therapy and keep the joints limber so she has full movements. Also keep her spirits up, mental outlook is also a major part of healing.

8. Wolf

Wolf Member

Paul:

Sorry to hear about your mother. I will be praying for you and her and the rest of your family.

9. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I'm sorry to hear about your mom too! If she's as tough as you, she'll be back cracking the whip in no time.

Give her my best.

Ken

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  10. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Zig, Encourage her to do the therapy and treasure every minute that you can spend with her. Arrange breaks for your Dad-- he'll need help caring for her. Give her all of our best wishes.
    Glenn

11. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, guys!

The physical therapy is key! So far, the place she is in hasn't even got her started. She has taken it on herself to do her own work. I'm heading over there this PM to check in.
    I snuck her a couple of sausage burritos from McDonalds this morning. (Along with a cup of coffee, since the house coffee is tinted water...)
    She is in much better spirits and the best thing is seeing how well my dad is taking to the role of nurturer! I didn't ever imagine he'd be cool with hand feeding my mom, or helping her get drinks! I guess that's why they celebrated their 60th anniversary a few months back.;)
    Thanks for the prayers and kind words! Does this mean I have to start saying nice things about Chevy trucks?:rolleyes::p:D

12. booger

booger Member

all the best to your Mom , Zig .

13. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Glad to hear that your Mom is on the mend so quickly. 60 years - WOW! - that is something to acknowledge and be proud of. My prayers are for you and the family.