Hey guys it's been a while

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Kevin's 48, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I know I'm not on here alot any more guys but it doesn't mean my truck is not getting worked on. I lost steam for a while, or should I say the funds, but now I'm back in action. I'm working hard to get the truck driveable by the last weekend in august to make a car show in evansville indiana. So much work and so little time. If I make it then great, but if I don't then I'm just that much further along. Any way here's some pics. Notice the snap on tool box drawer as a seat riser. It worked perfect. I also had to cut a 6 in hole through the cab so the driveshaft could get to the tranny. I also incorporated a drive shaft loop into the drive shaft tunnel. When I flip the cab to weld under neath I'll try to take pics, if I remember. You know how it is when you're working you're to giddy to remember the camera.

Attached Files:

2. Zig

Zig Member

Crap!

I had a whole "welcome back" thing typed up, but thanks to this computer and its friggin' "touchy" keys, that's all gone! I, for one, was extremely happy to see your post AND pictures! COOL use of a tool box drawer!
    I've not been on her much either, but come next summer~
    (Enjoy it while it lasts, Gater!:D)

BTW, are you still giving rides on your truck to the neighborhood kids?:cool:

3. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I'm glad to see that somebody remembered me on here. I knew I could count on you Zig. Yeah thats about the only rides this truck gives right now is up and down, but atleast they have more comfortable seats now. Going to do some more hard work on the truck this weekend. How about your truck, is that G up and running daily now? I still talk to Ken on the phone from time to time. I'm real happy for him to finally get his truck out to texas. Anyway I'll post more pics from time to time when I do something exciting to it. Just think a few months ago I considered selling the truck. But then I woke up and decided to work on it again. Plus I couldn't let Nate be right by saying most hot rodders sell their truck before finishing it. I just got excited about a new car I bought and wanted to fix it. Oh well finish the truck then build the rat rod. Okay enough rambling!

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Kevin, you don't really think that I'd be the first one to tell you "welcome back" do you? We've never left!:p Hurry up and get done with the truck. I'm waiting to see what you do with the '60! That needs to be your next priority, young man!

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome back !!

Good boy ! :)

Keep up the good work .

6. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

yeah I knew you'd be along pretty soon to. That 60 is going to be an easy one, it'll be all stock. Well I lied I dont do anything stock, but it's gonna be real close. I don't think it'll be next due to financial situation. This truck here has just about broke me. My next one is the 34 chevy four door I picked up a few months back. Gonna old school hot rod it and make it a two door delivery. I have a flat head six to go in it. Gonna be a real cool project. I have everything to build it and should cost less than two grand to build so that's the reason for going with it. After that if and when I get my camaro I'm gonna dump a ton of money into suspension and try and do a little auto crossing with it. I like to go fast around corners. Anybody can go fast straight, I just wanna do 90 around the corners.:D Prob build a few rat rods to sell then maybe I can afford to build the 60.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Stock Shmock

Who's paying for it ? :rolleyes:

Auto crossing is great fun .

I agree , going fast in a straight line is simple and boring .

8. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I rode with the guys from detroit speed a few weeks back in their 70 camaro and it is hands down better than air ride technologies 70 camaro. For about 6 grand I can have a bad azz camaro suspension set up that will let me dow what I want. But you know, one car at a time. Been working on the trans hump in the truck tonight. 2 hours later and still isn't fabricated right. Got frustrated and put up shop for the night. Gonna start nice and early in the morning. All weekend is supposed to be 80 degrees and sun no humidity. Sounds like a great weekend for hot rodding.:D

9. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

What a weekend for working on hot rods. Temp was 78-80 degrees no humidity and a little overcast. Perfect weather. I got a lot done with the truck this weekend. I smoothed my firewall, well half of it due to running out of metal, and built the trans hump in the floor, ran all of my wiring for my air ride in the cab and bolted to seat riser, welded in my seat riser, and bolted down the seats for a test fit. Getting this much done gets me real excited about building the truck again. I'll take pics later in the week to share, until then you guys have a great week.

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

11. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

That is awesome man. mine will be out there next year at the good guys nashville show and definately gonna auto cross it. If my other truck sells then I'll also have me a 70 camaro out there to auto cross too. That truck looks so cool going around the track. Thanks for the video.

12. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

You should make down to the Charlotte goodguys in October.

13. Zig

Zig Member

Classic Trucks

Russ has his truck in the advertisement for this show!:cool:
    I was flipping through the latest issue of "Classic Trucks", and on the second page, there was his truck going through the course! I was like, "Hey! I know that truck!" How cool!
    I believe the add is on the second page, so if y'all get this magazine, or see it in the stores, check it out!

Kevin~ it's great having you back on here!

14. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Thanks zig it's always good to be amongst friends. I miss hanging out with you guys on line.

Finished welding in the seat riser tonight, steering parts will be here tommorrow so now I can mount my column, steering wheel, and hook it all up to the steering box for mock up.

I may have to make it next year chebby. All my funds for vacation is going into the truck right at the moment trying to get it up and driving. I'm sick and tired of having it set in the garage and do nothing with it. Really makes me sick to think of the money sunk into something I can only sit in and make it go up and down. Won't be long and I'll be cruising down the road in it.:cool:

15. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I haven't seen that issue! Now I have to go look for it. I had 2 pictures in the Goodtimes gazette for Charlotte.

16. booger

booger Member

Yes indeed i got the mag and saw the pic and thought it looked familar

17. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Okay a few updated pics from this weeks work so far. I got my seat risers welded in, and the trans hump built and welded in (boy was that a real PIA) the seats are bolted in for now, air ride wiring is now in the cab instead of laying on the frame, and the column went in tonight. I had to get a little creative with the column due to the drop being a little too big, but I finally got it to set in the right place. Also I got half of my firewall smoothed, only half because I ran out of metal. There's always next week. Okay here's the pics.

Attached Files:

18. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Now that's what I'm talking about! Looking good! Love the steering wheel. Who makes it?

19. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Yeah the steering wheel was just one of those things I was at the show at the river front back home and a lady was there that we have bought steering wheels from before and we got talking with her about my truck and she said she had the perfect steering wheel for me. She pulled this one out and without hesitation I bought it. Really goes good with the old school hot rod look I'm going for. I don't know who makes it but I know I have seen them in magazines for sale since I have bought this one. I feel like I've got quiet a bit done for working a few nights on it after work. Still more to do.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looking Good !

Y'know ;

For a Hot Rod and all :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work ! .