A/C drain

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Larryd, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Larryd

Larryd Member

I have looked for the A/C drain and I can't find it for my 87. I am getting some water on the floor on the passenger’s side when I run the A/C. It's clear so I am sure its condensation and not antifreeze. I hate to admit it but I tasted it to be sure it wasn’t sweet. I can’t seem to find the drain tube.
    Thanks
    Larryd

2. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

I have an 83 p/u and mine is located under the dash between the glove box and a/c unit. It might be clogged up and full of trash or something like that. Mine was full ol leaves once. But now I don't have a/c got rid of it when I replaced motor. Hope this helps, good luck.

You tasted it????:eek: wow braver than me!!!

3. Larryd

Larryd Member

thanks TCB. I just dipped my finger in it and tasted my finger. I have just put a new floor mat and sound deadener in it so it wasn't muddy. lol. and the dog was in the house so I was fairly sure it wasn't him.
    Do you know where the tube comes out of the truck?
    thanks for the info. I will go under dash diving again tomorrow in the light
    Larryd

4. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

not real sure, mine always drained from the passanger side some where around the a/c unit, never really looked for it....sorry...:(
    a guy told me one time to pull the screens off {between the hood and glass}
    by the wipers and make sure there are no leaves or built up dust. sometime this will help. sorry I couldn't be more help.

5. Larryd

Larryd Member

thanks. I'll dig in and see if i can find it. i might have to shove my 12 year old grandson under the dash board and drive till it leaks on him.

6. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:eek: that's funny!!!!! well I was under my truck messing with the tranny and looked for some kind of hose and I've looked in every book I have but none of them say anything about a drain hose. :(

Anyway I'm gonna chat with a buddie of mine and see what he knows{he is old school mech.} works on nothing but old motors none of this coumpter bs.
    I'll keep you in the loop.

7. Larryd

Larryd Member

I do appreciate it . we can't find it but I know it has got to have one someplace.
    Thanks

8. Don M

Don M Member

I’m assuming that this is a factory air system and not an aftermarket system. There is no tube or hose for draining the condensate. There is a small hole in the bottom of the fiberglass housing for the evaporator located in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the firewall. I have had some success cleaning out the evaporator housing by removing the device that holds the resistors that control the blower speed and sticking a small piece of hose that I taped to my shop vac hose through that hole. That device is located on the top outboard side of the evaporator housing. It is diamond shaped with two small screws holding it in place. Be careful, the resistors are fragile.

It is also possible to remove the inboard half of the evaporator housing without dumping the Freon from the system. It’s kind of a pain with the accumulator in place but it can be done. If I remember correctly there are four studs on the fire wall, two on top and two on the bottom, and four or so screws that hold the two halves together. The downside of doing this is you run the risk of causing a Freon leak if you start moving the evaporator around.

Hope this helps.
    Don