Brakes / Steering

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Arizona64, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

Ok, I need some advice. I have a 64 Chevy. The brakes are stock. When I come to a stop, it sharply veers to the left. How can I correct this?

Also, I have the original steering column in it, with manual steering. I like the manual steering, but want a new column. Suggestions? The column I have has alot of play, I mean, I can jiggle the steering wheel around quite a bit. Is there a way I can fix this without having to buy a new column? Does anyone have an original column in good shape they want to sell? Let me know!!!

Regards,
    Arizona64

2. Biggy

Biggy Member

The reason it steers to the left is because the front left wheel drum has been tightened more than the other ones. About the column you would probably have to go to the junkyard or tear it open and see if anything is loose from top to bottom.

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Make sure the brakes on the right side are functioning properly.
    Make sure the front end is properly aligned.

Column, It sounds like the upper bearing on the column is shot from your description. You can attempt to replace it with the column in the truck, but it would most likely be easier with the column out and on a work bench. While you are in there, replace the lower column bearing as well. The procedures are documented in the Service Manual, so if you don't have one? Get one ! You will need the 63 Service manual and the 64 suppliment.

4. Butch60stp

Butch60stp Member

Butch60stp
    Besides what has already been mentioned, another cause could be a leaky brake cylinder,swollen brake shoes,drum could need turning, you could have a ball joint or an A arm bushing problem. But my vote would be, adjust the brakes.
    Butch

5. Arizona64

Arizona64 Member

I thought they were self adjusting. How do I adjust them?

Regards,
    Arizona64

6. 62gmc4x4

62gmc4x4 Member

stick a screw driver in the inside hole at the bottom to turn adjuster gear. if you take the drum off you will see what i mean