Window Regulator Installation

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 47chevy, Dec 31, 2007.

1. 47chevy

47chevy Member

Need some help installing new window regulators on my 1947 Chevy pick-up Does anyone have any pics to share to show how the regulators should look installed? Any websites to recommend?

I have installed them once, but the window was not rolling up all the way. They are new regulators.

Thanks!

2. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

??

They only fit in one way , there's four screws to hold them to the door skin , the star washers underneath each screw are extremely important ! .

I assume you've peered down inside the door to look at the welded in track one arm of the regulator must go into , it will be full of old rock hard grease and prolly a bunch of rust too , clean it all out and use the toothbrush sized wire brush to clean it until shiny as new , then rinse it clean with aerosol brake cleaner or Electro-Contact cleaner & plenty of clean rags , before re-greasing with white Lithium grease...

It's a really fun job , requires you to work through that rectangular trap door in the lower front of the door , whilst sitting on the running board , be carefull on how you insert your arm as it's tricky and you can get stuck and panic , if so , relax and look at how it goes , I always take my elbow out first .

Have fun ! :rolleyes:

4. gmcman1965

gmcman1965 Member

feelin dumb

I looked at the manual, and looked for other post on this, and i still have not figure out the right way to install!! I can not see a welded trake in the door!! My doors are 48 without no draft . I also see in the manual two different ways to install the inner latch (door) release. Anyone got some help advise? Thanks scott d

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The welded in track is horizontal and on the inner side of the '48 door .

You have to slip one of the round things on the end of the regulator into it .

No shop manual has a decent picture of it sad to say , I had to fiddle with it a bit to figure it out as the DPO had screwed up my doors 100 % .

If the other door is still assembled , look down inside with a flashilight when in the shade ~ if you're on the sun , you cannot dee inside the dark , shady door .

DO NOT take the other door apart ! you'll need it as a guide .

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Door Latch

The lower channel for the window , goes in front ot the latch and has a little screw near the bottom , remove this screw and lift the challen straight up untill the upper end unhooks ~ DO NOT twist , ynak nor pry it loose as you'll ruin it and it's important .

Once this channel is out , the latch pretty much falls out into your hand after removing it's screws .

7. gmcman1965

gmcman1965 Member

Door lacth

When i spoke of the door lacth i was mean the remote control arm for the innr handle. The manual shows both running horizontal in the resease of the door and than again running on an angle downward ( fig 28 and fig 31) atop the high part of the door.

I have looked and looked for this elusive track in the door, but willl look angain! The doors seam unmolested, but i took apart 3 years ago for dip stripping, and forget what was what. I am try to reasemble for driving enjoyment. I don't want to but if all else fails maybe i'll have to put in power windows.

8. gmcman1965

gmcman1965 Member

A measure of success

I found the track and got the window in, after many tries and paint scraping!! Now i just need to figure out how to get the window level. The front seams to droop, and when rolled up could go up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch . Will try passenger window later. Need to remove box panels for paint. They are getting painted to nite. Other than touching up the front the painting will be done. I 'll try to figure out how to post pics, using slow speed dial up, to show finished or near finished truck thanks for the help nate !!!

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hey , good to hear it ! :) .

The alingment is tricky , the screws that hold it all to-gether can be slacked and then you tilt the glass a little bit too far in the other direction and hold it there whilst your third hand re-tighten the screws .