Rear Main

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by miltonhansen, Jul 27, 2009.

1. miltonhansen

miltonhansen Member

I have stated rebuilding a 60 235 to put in my 50 this is the last part of the 3 year projected. I need to know witch is better the Graphtite rope or the Rubber Seal. This one thing I would like not to have to revisit.
    Thanks Much

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Milton, is the engine out of the truck? It is a lot easier to replace the rear main if it is. Rope gaskets are a pain in the posterior to remove and not any easier to install if the engine is still in the truck. They don't hurt as bad if the engine is on a stand. My preference is the old rope type because they form and seal more easily than the rubber ones. Then again, I've always had the luxary of having the engine on a stand. If going with a rope type, make sure to soak it in oil so that it will seal better.

This is just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions...

3. miltonhansen

miltonhansen Member

The engine is out and having the machine work done. I hope to have all the parts ready for the weekend. So if you have good luck with the rope thats what I shall use. Thanks for the oiling tip.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dogturd Seals

Just remember to work it all the way into the groove it sits in so the ends don't stick too far out .

Soaking it makes it more pliable and easier to install .