Most unusual

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Aug 5, 2009.

1. coilover

coilover Member

People often ask what is the most unusual car/truck that I have seen or worked on and I have a list that I go through. No more, I now can give a ready answer. Around 1920 Briggs and Stratton offered the lowest price car ever marketed--$125 to $150. It IS a car, not a go cart. It's called a Briggs and Stratton Flyer (also known as a "Red Bug"). I googled it and it is also known as one of the fifty worse cars of all time. I doubt it would pass the Insurance Institutes crash test and the NSTB may have a few issues with it but the Smart Car people weren't the first. Remember, a lot of cars were offered without head lamps back then and used carbide or kerosene lamps if they had lights.

Attached Files:

2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Evan - That is too cool. Do you know how many mpg? I ride a HD and one would think that you could do better than 40 mpg. . .

3. federale

federale Member

Very cool!

I remember seeing a couple of these when I was a kid in Circleville, Ohio. It was called a King Midget.
    IIRC they were built in Athens Ohio and offered as a kit or fully assembled.

Attached Files:

4. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

that is way cool, looks like an old wood sled with a motor and wheels. Awesome pic

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Mechanized DEATH......

But prolly fun to drive :rolleyes:

King Midgets were made well into the 1960's.... another poorly concieved
    ' Automobile ' .