1 1/2 ton Cab on 1/2 ton frame

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 51 papy, Aug 8, 2009.

1. 51 papy

51 papy Member

Hello Guys

Four years ago Nate told me that I could take a 47 cab off a ton and a half truck and put it on my 51 half ton frame. I completed the mock up last weekend and got it all in primer.

No shock, Nate was spot on. With one exception every thing bolted right up. This old grain truck lived in the barn for all of it's life and the price was RIGHT (free) as it was headed to the bone yard. It had no rust and no repairs needed other than standard body work. The 51 cab had no cab corners, no floors, no door bottoms and heavy rust around the front windows.

If the original 1/2 ton gas tank is going to be used one must cut a hole behind the riderside door and the sheet metal panels behind the seat must be removed and then suported to get the tank in. I used the cab mounts off the 51 which was easy. My only suprise came when I went to install the driverside inner fender. The 51 inner was about an inch and a half short of meeting the firewall. It looks like it will be easy to extend. Other than that this was an easy project for a rookie.

Thanks Nate!

I don't post much but I do read and I haven't seen this covered much. Sorry if I bored everyone. I hope driving this beast will be as much fun as working on it.

Mike

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Did ou have the mount piece that goes between the floor and inner fender? It is kind of a z shape, bolts to the floor and then to the inner fenders. This may be the 1 1/2 inch difference you have.

3. 51 papy

51 papy Member

I did not. I'll have to go back to the parts shelf and look. My tear down notes didn't say anything about taking it off?? I hope I didn't leave it on the 51 cab.
    Thanks for the help.
    Mike

4. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

You could always put the tank under the bed like a 47 to avoid cutting on the cab. Sounds like a great project. How about some pics?
    Gater

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Tech Help

Is NEVER ' boring ' ! :)

I'm glad I got something right for once .

6. 51 papy

51 papy Member

7. Super 55

Super 55 Member

Where are the 1 1/2 ton fenders

Mike, what did you do with the fenders off the 1 1/2 ton? Were they in good shape? Mine have some rust to deal with and if I could find some really good fenders I would be interested. A 1 1/2 ton fender should be the same size as a two ton.

8. 51 papy

51 papy Member

A guy came down the road just as I was taking the cab off and bought the fenders grill and core support. Another neighbor wanted the hydrolics and the bed. My son-in-law hauled the frame off to the bone yard.

I'm in east central Kansas and have spotted several just don't need any big truck stuff to finish.

Mike

9. Super 55

Super 55 Member

That truck lives on

Well, you must say that truck lives on for sure as a donor. You did pretty good especially at the price. Your 1/2 ton is looking good. I will have to get one once the two ton is done. I can only work on one project at a time.

10. rix 48

rix 48 Member

Free!!!

I love stories like this---seems like I'm always in the wrong place to get free though:cool:! My cab WAS so bad I could read a paper through it almost anywhere.:eek:
    As Gator said--under the frame is an option, they didn't go in the cab until 49.
    My 48 is under.

Rick

11. Zig

Zig Member

Dang!

That looks great, Mike! I'm sure you're stoked! Are you sticking with the original 6 or going for greater motivation?

12. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hey Ol' Chebby

Where does one get that Z-piece that goes between the inner fender and cowl on the passenger side. I too was wondering why there is such a gap between the inner fender and cowl. Neither my truck or the parts truck had such a piece. Must have rotted out long ago on the parts truck or not put back on when the guys mocked up my Old Navy truck.

Andy

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

14. 51 papy

51 papy Member

Sorry Guys been out of town
    Zig I scored a running 235 from a 58 truck. I'm blocking now and trying to get her ready to paint. My wife said I looked pretty stupid setting in my chair admiring my truck???
    After 6 years...I just let her laugh.

Mike

15. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Mike, if your wife laughs at you for just sitting there admiring your truck, she would have busted a gut seeing me walk around the house with that 18" steering wheel in my hands making motor noises a few years back:D:D

16. 51 papy

51 papy Member

Ken
    There's another picture of me setting on the frame that was setting on the saw horses. It took her three times because she was laughing so hard.

Let em laugh!

Mike

17. Ruger338

Ruger338 Member

Z-Bracket (Park Brake support bracket)

The Z- bracket actually the park brake support bracket is available as a reproduction from Jim Carter MEB114 or Ebay where I have sold a few. Jim Carter $40 Ebay usually 1/2 or 1/4 of that. They only come on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks due to the floor mounted brake pedal.

18. 51 papy

51 papy Member

Ruger,

Is the repop worth buying or should I look for an orginal. Figures that I couldn't just fill the area:mad: Thanks for the input.

Mike