Back from paint

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by David Hall, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Yes sound good. Yes the rollers rockers work better. On my 305 I put stamped steel roller tipped rockers, by cran cam's because I had them with some parts I picked up in a deal. They work better then stock. I did the chrome thing, I will say this temps under hood and in the motor will run higher, oil will brake down faster with the chrome part on. A good set painted parts better or a alum part better for temps & oil.

2. David Hall

David Hall Member

Pontiac,

did you notice any performance gains with the roller tips? I've never used them before.

3. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:cool::D Yeah I like chrome just a little but, I've seen people go way to far..:(
    on a "show" truck its okay but for an everyday driver I think less is better.
    Yeah I like that color scheme you got going, that thing looks awsome!!!!
    keep us posted.

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

They do work better then stock. They do last a lot longer than stock rockers for wear. I been using them in my motor's since 89. I put a new set in 93 when I rebuilt the 1976 there still in it now. I race the 1976 it's a chev 350 I shift it 6800 rpm 1st shift and 2shift getting time to take it apart to check the bearing. I have to say they do help a little on the horses but without a test on a bench to compare both really hard to say. I forget now what they claim over stock. But I hear they are better for street motors for wear.

5. David Hall

David Hall Member

New pushrods are here but I didn't get to install them yet. Been putting in the garden. If there is any time left tommorrow I'll try then.

dh

6. David Hall

David Hall Member

Update on engine progress.

I finally found the time to install the push rods and check the wear pattern on the valve stem. The pattern was right on the money but, the Comp cams guide plates were now a problem. My guide plates kept the rockers from sitting squarely on the valve stem. So they had to come out and in went a set of Isky adjustable guide plates.

The Isky guide plts. slide into each other and can be ground for custom fit.
    This is very teadious because every piece has to be installed, measured, ground, cleaned, reinstalled and checked before moving on to the next cylinder. Isky also says guide plts. can be welded for more stability.

All in all would I do it again? Yes, because this is where you find those extra ponies.

Next to go on was the Edelbrock performer intake. Mocking up the gaskets on the heads and then the intake I found I had to do some gasket matching. After a little work with dremel tool I had everything cleaned and installed.

Crane energizer rr arms 11744-16
    Comp cams 0.80 magnum pushrods 7643-16
    Isky guide plates 200-APG
    Edelbrock preformer eps 2701
    Mr gasket intake bolts 12pt

Attached Files:

7. baad

baad Member

call me the show man out of the bunch but i like the crome but not 2 much but i do like the way ur looks the first 2 r my 73 the last 1 is my 74

Attached Files:

8. David Hall

David Hall Member

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with chrome. I have a few chrome pieces lined up ( water neck and breathers) but they aren't staying chrome. My plan is to blast the chrome off, lay down some aluminum paint and scuff the finish.

Why did I even get chrome pieces when I'm only going to remove it, because I couldn't find them in aluminum.

Some like it and some don't

9. baad

baad Member

they have the new black edelbrock air breather they look nice on black motors and tha letter look aluminum.:)

10. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Chrome I like it in some things, but I did the chrome thing. I found that some parts just keep too much heat in the bay and the motor. So I'm more now days try to keep most chrome off my motors :) :D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  11. David Hall

David Hall Member

Engine went in yesterday.

Holley 600
    Energy Suspension poly motor mounts

Attached Files:

12. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

That very nice looks good.:eek:

13. David Hall

David Hall Member

I put a few more things on yesterday. I installed studs in the intake for the water neck, because I've had bolts sieze up before. When I went to change the thermostat I broke an ear off the intake. From that point on I stud everything I can in aluminum. Most off the day got wasted running around looking for oddball pieces.

water neck
    valve cover breathers
    firewall ground
    sparkplugs
    5 quarts 10W30

Attached Files:

14. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:D...Looking Good David!!!! Looks like you've been busy.
    How ya been doing?? Glad to see that you've been working on that monster
    when you gonna be ready to fire her over?

15. David Hall

David Hall Member

Kind had to put the truck on hold. When it rains it pours. I'm still around just busy as hell.

16. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

I hear you know what you mean. Your doing a great job. All the good luck to you.:)

17. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

Glad to see that some things don't change. hope everything on that monster works out for ya. Ive been working on mine, had to replace the flywheel just a few days ago, keep having problems with the starter and it hanging up or grinding, so I just broke down and put a new one on it. That was not fun by myself....:mad: anyway next project is brakes and radaitor.....:rolleyes:
    its always something...:eek: oh well at least I'm keeping busy..LOL

18. David Hall

David Hall Member

I ordered the front and rear bumbers monday, was only able to mount the rear though. I was surprised at quality, fitment will take a little nursing to get it just right.

I'll post up some pictures when i get them installed.

19. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

:confused:.....so how is the nursing going??? haven't heard from ya, just curious how things are going?? how the project going?

20. David Hall

David Hall Member

I'm not quite satisfied with the rear, it sits (looking from the rear) to the left about 1/4 " more than the right side.. I'll have to take more measurements, the bed maybe sitting to far to the left and the bumper is correct.

The front went on and looks perfect.

Also installed the stainless braided fuel line along with fuel filter. The combo I decided to go with uses AN fittings, fuel filter and line with the Endura finish...Looks sweet

I still cant post any pictures because I've been attending job related schools lately.