outside visor

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 48aero, Aug 8, 2009.

1. 48aero

48aero Member

I purchased a visor on ebay and I'm having trouble making it fit. It measures 52 1/2" wide in the middle of the mount. Does any one have this style of their truck and if so, how wide is you visor. I'm beginning to think this one isn't for AD truck. Please Help!! Thanks Jesse

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sun Shade

That's for either a '54.2 or '55.1 or a passenger car....

I've seen them mangled to fit .

When buying parts , never , EVER ask ' will this fit my XXX ? ' ~ rather ask ' what does this fit please ? ' ~ as most sellers will always say yes , this came of an identical rig like yours , just to make the sale .

3. 48aero

48aero Member

Thanks Nate, are you saying the 53 and back didn't use this type?

4. cowboy357

cowboy357 Member

I had a factory one off of a 53 & it had Brackets on the ends that attach to the drip rails if I remember right , Instead of those turned down ends . I,m with Nate , I,m guessing its off of a car .

Heres a pic of the one I had , Bottom left corner by the back of the enclosed trailer , Has the Mural on it, Only pic I could find , but hopefully You can make out the brackets on the one end , it also has a diffent type of bracket in the center & much longer & narrower then the one You have . CB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

6. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I would deffinately say car visor, IIRC the truck has more of a point in the center where yours is rounded. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. coilover

coilover Member

I went out and took a couple of shots of two Fultons hanging in the garage rafters and just as I thought--they have a slip joint in the center that gives 2-3" of adjustment on both sides. I'm sure this was for fit adjustment and to cover several different makes.

Attached Files:

8. 48aero

48aero Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. I decided the only way to find out if it fit was to stop everything, put the windshield gasket in with the trim bar,and hold the visor in place. As suspected,it is the wrong angle on the center support and it isn't wide enough. Oh well, back to looking. I sure did like this style. I attached some pics of the results.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

GM Sunshade

This appears to me to be the factory GM sun shade for '53 & '54 passenger cars , it's highly sought after so don't give up on it too quickly , might be someone out there with a complete truck one or a Fulton adjustable(aftermarket , period correct) one for your truck but DO NOT buy one until you know what all the correct brackets look like , I have two sans brackets , hoping some day someone will begin repopping Fulton brackets...

The dash looks really nice ! .

Who's the old guy sitting in the front seat ? :rolleyes:

-Nate

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Whaddaya Mean , _HAD_ ?

That's nice , kinda gaudy paint scheme but would look really nice on some beach rig with surfboards etc...

-Nate

11. 48aero

48aero Member

I've been looking around at different cars but no match yet. The guy on ebay I bought it from is not answering my emails. He mis listed this and is not willing to make it right. I guess I'll have to file with ebay and pay pal. Has anybody ever gotten any money back from PayPal?

I am no stranger to visors, I have 6 of various shapes when I was figuring out which one I wanted on my 48 Fleetline. I built the roof mounts to give it a clean look, since I put a 1 piece w/s in it.

Attached Files:

12. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Nice '48!

Man, every time I see a nicely done '48, it makes me wish I hadn't sold my Stylemaster coupe back in '05. They sure were awesome body styles.

My '48 coupe.JPG

Oh, well, you can't keep 'em all;)

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

SWEET Fastback !!

Wow , that's a honey :p

Fastbacks are a funy body style that goes in and out of fashion , many carmakers have lost $ tooling up for them only to discover sales drop to zero after one or two model years .

For me , the bodyline is timeless .

It looks fast and stylish standing still .

14. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

This is what the bottom side of mine looks like

I have NOT had this mounted yet on the truck, but I do believe it will fit. It all looks to be the correct width for the truck and the DOG BONE hinges on the end look correct and it has the center clamp brackets that attach to the windshield center strip. This one was missing one of the center brackets as you can see in one of the pictures, but I was able to pick up a set on ebay. Again, I have not yet fit this onto my truck, but as far as i can tell, this one style/type will work. Good luck as I LOVE this look on the old trucks as well. I think visors look good on many of the older trucks/cars, but especially on our trucks!

They are made of aluminum and seem very flimsy. I suppose once mounted properly and attached in the 3 places, then it should not fly off when tooling down the road. However, if my old truck gets to going that fast down the road, then I should be happy to exchange that speed for the visor ! :D

Attached Files:

15. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

Wow what a nice 48. I had never noticed how simular the cars were to the trucks. I have never looked directly at the front before I guess because the roofline and back of the fastbacks are so eye catching.

16. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Sun Visor for sale

I decided not to use my Sun Visor. Is anyone looking for one? I got this from a guy who gave up on his restoration.

I know they sell for around $450 online. I will let this one go for $250 + shipping. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Greg

Attached Files:

17. ChevRon49

ChevRon49 Member

Hi Greg,

I may be interested in the visor....can you email me

rkrtx63@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Ronnie

18. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

visor

HEY Greg is your visor a gm or fulton.
    Robert

19. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

The visor is now the property of ChevRon49.

Greg