Okay guys random question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Kevin's 48, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Is there anybody using the 7in corvette booster and master cylinder on their truck and if so do you know the pedal travel from rest to fully pressed. I'm trying to make my brake pedal bracket and so far I don't like where it sets. I'm trying to move it back more but need to know the travel so I don't move it back to far. Thanks in advance.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have a vette manual cylander, and it uses the origional pedal. If you are mounting it under the truck, the arm should be parallel with the toeboard, like stock.

3. coilover

coilover Member

We mount the booster/MC in a position where it fits the best and then make an actuator rod the right length. A 30 Plymouth we did has the unit just in front of the left side rear axle tube. The long rod to the back PULLS a bellcrank that then has a short rod to push into the booster. The very early T-Birds with p/b had a firewall mounted m/c that fed pressure to a slave cylinder which pushed the actuator rod into a booster that had a second m/c mounted to it. This unit was way up by the radiator. A hydraulic link should work just as good as a steel one but there are a bunch more parts to mess up or wear out.

4. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

well my problem so far is the pedal at full rest if I leave the bracket that I am using stock is about 6 inches closer to me than the gas pedal. with the pedal hanging with no rod to the booster it hangs perfect about 2 inches in front of the gas pedal. So with that said I am thinking of modifying the bracket the pedal hangs from to be full rest position where it is hanging not attached. I was just wondering if I make that change if the pedal would have enough travel when braking and not bottom out on the toe board. This would only have me putting a 1 1/2 in rod between the pedal and booster, but I didn't think that would be a big deal. Ol chebby my truck is on a s-10 frame and I tried to use an under cab brake system but because the way the frame runs under the cab there is no room and would put the pedal coming out where the gas pedal goes. Gonna try to mount the booster and master tommorrow and then go from there. Let me know what you guys think about the travel issue if I move the pedal rest point back, just to see if there is something else I may not be thinking of.