1952 or 1953?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by LipCa, May 9, 2009.

1. LipCa

LipCa Member

I have an old chevy 5 window pickup. How can I tell if it is a 52 or 53?
    Are there some differences? Door handles, windows?

Thanks

2. MJD

MJD Member

The '53 has a different hood chrome side molding depicting the series. Like the 3100, or 3600, 3800.
    Some had the left rear fender with a "well" that could hold the spare tire, I believe usually the 1/2 tons ?
    They were tastefully factory done, not home made kind.
    I think basically they were the same as a '52, but also the ID tag, or series letters in the ID, had differences in the 2 years.
    Other guys may have more to add. I just recall what I remember. Don't you have a title, or a registration to this pickup or truck you talk of ?
    There might have been some engine or other improvements too that I forget. Interior seat materials, door panel color, etc.

mjd

3. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    If you have our sponsor's catalog , they have a two page article at the front on the minor changes they made through all the years. Its sometimes very hard to figure out as the parts are interchangable.

You can be like Johnny Cash's song, I've got a 47,48 49, 50,51 automoble! My 47' had a 53' front end. Gave me a heck of a time buying brakes. My 53' has GMC fenders on it.

Flashlight

4. LipCa

LipCa Member

MJD,

This was a "field" find....no title. I want to register it to the correct year.

The sponser's catalog?? You mean the "chevy duty" catalog?

I have one(well, my son has it...you know how that goes).

Tried to download last nite but I have dialup....after an hour I gave up.

Will have to order a new one.

5. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

LC,
    If you will look at the home page http://www.classicparts.com/ You will see a link next to the forum link that says "Truck Years". Give that a try for information about the differences in years. Also, does your truck have the ID plate on the driver's side front door post?
    By the way, welcome to our community of AD truck lovers. (including the mighty G, that is GMC for newbies)
    Gater

6. uncleger

uncleger Member

7. MJD

MJD Member

Gerald -- Yes, I was just going to suggest this same site as your link states :

A portion of it ........

1952- Outside door handles are now push button type. Speedometer now shows maximum speed of 90 mph. Horizontal trim above & below radio speaker grill & glove box door are painted steel, not stainless steel as in prior years. All beds are now 8 board type. Chevrolet hub-caps changed from chrome plated to gray painted steel with black block letters, however, stamping and shape remain the same as prior years. Some say a very few deluxe 1/2 ton pickups still carried the chrome cap. In mid-year, GM stopped using 3100, 3600, 3800 emblems on side of hood. However, CHEVROLET emblems are used the entire year. Inside window handle knobs & wiper knob are now maroon. Serial #'s , KP 1/2 ton, KR 3/4 ton, KS 1 ton, etc...

1953- Last year for 216 cu.in. babbit bearing type engine. Hood side emblem change to large 3100, 3600, 3800, etc...only. No CHEVROLET emblem on side. Hood emblem now stainless steel. First year for the optional left side mount spare on this series of pickups. Door post ID plate is now blue & silver. Prior years were black & silver. Last year that wood blocks are used under bed. Serial #'s, H 1/2 ton, J 3/4 ton, L 1 ton, etc...

:)

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Congradulations !

On your field find .

Now get to work and tune it up , fix the brakes and see whatcha got , all BEFORE you go tearing it apart :cool:

9. LipCa

LipCa Member

Actually this is my son's truck(I gave it to him)...It's definately a 1952 from the info you provided...thanks for that.

In two days, he put in a camero front clip, a new rearend and suspension and picked up a 305 with high performance heads which he is in the middle of rebuilding.(the old engine found a new home).
    He is going to leave the body just as it is.....looking old and rusty.
    Now if I could just get him to work on my 1949.......

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  10. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

Call it a 53; you get more resale with a later year truck!:D

11. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

I am having the same problem, only with a GMC

Hey guys - funny you should mention this. I have been having trouble identifying mine (GMC though) as well for many years. There are just so slight of differences between the '52 and the '53 and seems to be even less info about the GMCs than the Chevys.

My title said a '52, but I understand many were never even titled if used on the farm only back then, until at some point many years later, they were required to title/register them for road use/safety. And by then, who could remember - I know I can't remember 10 days ago, let alone 10 years ago. Plus, there were two digits transposed on the title vs the vin plate and I had to get that corrected when I had to register it in my name.

I had done some extensive research at one point on the VIN and seems to me I found where my frame sequence number (last 6 numbers I believe) were in the range of those that came off the assembly line in St. Louis in 1953.

However, it looks as though my door plate is BLACK & SILVER, which may indicate it was a '52 according to what someone wrote above. I also understand that some plants would continue to use the prior build years' materials until they ran out and switched over to the new model year as well. This could account for some of the slight inconsistencies.

Mine is going to have a SIDE MOUNT SPARE TIRE carrier, so maybe I am pushing for it to be a '53 anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any GMC specific research they could direct me towards on this matter.

thanks!

Attached Files:

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Data Plate

I am not so sure they changed the color on Jimmy's tags...

Remember too that back then they'd grab whatever was on the line as it was assembled , they sold every truck made during this time , _before_ it was assembled . if GM had run three shifts , they'd have easily out sold that other brand that had the most actual sales :mad:

13. dads55

dads55 Member

For the best GMC info I've found, go to oldGMCtrucks.com. It's a great site full of things GMC.

14. Zig

Zig Member

But~

It's much better to keep mentioning the G word on this mostly Chevy site!:D;):p
    If you want BETTER resale value, call it a GMC!:eek:
    I don't need to go into that article that states how much more a G is worth than the bow tie counterpart, do I?:D

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wierd People

Are they who think Jimmy's have good looks..... :rolleyes:

16. Wolf

Wolf Member

count me strange then:D

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K. , YOU Asked For it :

OBVIOUSLY you're a strange duck if you like old trucks....... :rolleyes:

Being a GMC lover , well that just makes it worse .

FAR worse :D

:p

18. Wolf

Wolf Member

can't argue with any of that:D

19. gypsy truck

gypsy truck Member

Born St. Louis, Missouri in 1953

Thanks Bruce - I had discovered this document some time ago and that is what always made me think my GMC was a '53 - and this just confirms it. The picture below was taken from a thread I found on the website you recommended. The frame sequence number of my vin falls in the range for St. Louis plant in 1953.

Plant codes are: (P) Pontiac, Michigan; (C) Oakland, CA; (S) St. Louis, MO

Attached Files: