Rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by LORD, Aug 10, 2009.

1. LORD

LORD Member

Experts

I will rebuild the 1979 model Chevrolet truck

Please help me and directive in the best way to complete this work

Thanks for all

Attached Files:

2. Don M

Don M Member

Hey GMC Love,

It would be helpful if you ask specific questions here, but I will give a shot at what I think you are trying to ask.

First off, nice looking truck, not too many long bed step sides around.

The first thing I would be looking at is the drive train and what you plan to use the truck for. Is this going to be a daily driver, show truck, or something in-between? For a daily driver, reliability and fuel economy factors become important. What is the condition of the engine and transmission? Do you need a rebuilt/crate engine? Is fuel economy an issue, if so you may want to look into an overdrive transmission? Overdrive leads to changing gears ratios in the rear end, shorter drive shaft, modifying the transmission support. (Money and time)

Next, look at condition of the body and how much rust? If you want a show truck, $2000 would be a good starting point for a paint job, that’s not including any body work. If you are planning on doing the paint and body work yourself, be prepared to spend a lot of time on this and good quality automotive paint is expensive. (Money and time)

Interior is the last portion of a rebuild that I would do. Most of the parts and pieces are available; the sponsor of the site is a very good source. The individual pieces are not that expensive, but when you total up everything you will need it can be a little shocking. (Money and time)

If you have not noticed by now, money and time is a reoccurring statement in this response. Keep in mind what you spend on the project versus what you can sell the truck for. Chances are that you will never be able to sell the truck for anything near what you put into it. Now I’m not to saying don’t work on your truck, just go into this with eyes wide open. I have found this to be a very enjoyable hobby. I have redone a 79, 82, and an 87. I sold the 79 and the 82 for less than what I had them and I have more money in the 87 that I could ever sell it for.

Hope this helps.
    Don

3. texascowboy

texascowboy Member

gotta agree with "don m" he gave you some good advice. If there are any junk yards in your area you might do some scouting for the parts you need, if any. nice looking truck to start with and good luck.

4. LORD

LORD Member

Really thank you for the valuable advice

I will ask for each step (before start)
    On the vehicle chassis

Is there a special paint for the chassis? (I want to buy everything from this site).
    What is the best way to eliminate the rust from the car chassis?
    Rust will be inside and outside the chassis ...

Thank you, gentlemen, to the kind assistance

5. Don M

Don M Member

Is there a special paint for the chassis? Yes there is paint that is engineered specially for this type application. I’m not familiar with pros and cons or the cost of the paint but I’m sure someone will jump in and give some advice on it.

What is the best way to eliminate the rust from the car chassis?
    How bad is the rust problem? If it is just surface rust you can do a pretty good job of cleaning it up with a wire brush on a drill motor or grinder motor. The ultimate solution is to take the chassis to someone in your area and have it media blasted or acid dipped. This is a LOT of work, you must remove everything, bed, cab, engine, transmission, rear end, front suspension, gas tank(s), brake lines, fuel lines, wiring, everything that is not welded or riveted on, or to the chassis.

You need to take a good, hard look at the chassis if the rust is more than just surface rust. If the rust is bad enough that it could compromise the structural integrity of the chassis it will be very difficult and time consuming to repair. You will be better off to find another chassis or complete truck that is in better shape.

Don

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  6. LORD

LORD Member

Don
    You are truly a great man

Thank you from the bottom of my heart
    I hope that the world is full of people like you

I hope that any one who knows the name of painting my own chassis

Thank you once again

7. Don M

Don M Member

Hi GMC_Love

I looked at the reply you posted on the “Free Shipping” thread that Robert started and noticed that you are located in Saudi Arabia. I’m curious, how many of these old trucks (1973 to 1987) are there running around in your country? Is it easy to get replacement GM parts from your local parts supplier? I will keep your location in mind when replying to your questions.

Good luck to you.
    Don

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  8. Don M

Don M Member

I did a little looking around and found that POR-15 paint is what a lot of people are using for chassis restoration. I don’t know anything about it, so this is not a recommendation just some information. Here is a link to a site with more information about the product.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

Don

9. LORD

LORD Member

how many of these old trucks (1973 to 1987)?
    Which in good conditions .... Very few

are there running around in your country?
    yes

Is it easy to get replacement GM parts from your local parts supplier?
    Not much

But
    Quality is not that I want

10. LORD

LORD Member

I checked this paint
    Maybe good
    Really I do not know
    I will search intense ...

11. LORD

LORD Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  12. LORD

LORD Member

There are advised to use Epoxy primer and BC / CC

I'm really confused

13. Don M

Don M Member

What are you confused about?

Where did you see that they are recommending using epoxy primer and BC/CC? Are they using BC/CC on the chassis or the outside of the car? Please post the link where you saw that. I don’t see anything about that in the link you posted.

The link you posted shows the restored chassis for a 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS (Super Sport). These cars are very desirable here in the US. Good quality restored 69 Chevelle SS can sell for $50,000 and higher.

This is a picture of my 87 that I painted with BC/CC.

[​IMG]

14. LORD

LORD Member

What are you confused about?
    Confused about any paint used to paint the chassis (primer and black paint

Where did you see that they are recommending using epoxy primer and BC/CC?
    See this link
    http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chassis-paint-98954.html

Are they using BC/CC on the chassis or the outside of the car? Please post the link where you saw that. I don’t see anything about that in the link you posted.

The link you posted shows the restored chassis for a 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS (Super Sport). These cars are very desirable here in the US.

I know that
    I mean impressive view of the chassis
    I do not know what kind of paint primer and black paint used to paint this chassis

This car is truly a wonderful
    Did you paint for a long time ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2009
  15. drabo

drabo Member

POR 15 sells a chassis paint kit. The paint is self leveling so apply with a brush and it looks good. It will stop all rust. They also sell a floor board kit to paint over a rusty floor. It's also self leveling so brush on and it looks good and dries hard as a rock. The only problem with this product is the paint is so hard you can't paint over it.

16. LORD

LORD Member

Dear drabo

I have no problem in that
    But I am confused

Chose what
    Do I chose Por15 or Epoxy primer

Then: What kind of black paint

Thank you for your comment

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  17. Don M

Don M Member

I will give you my thoughts along with what I feel are the pros and cons on chassis paint options.

POR 15 - I have not used this product so I’m not speaking from experience, just what I have seen written about the product. This is an excellent product if you are looking for protection from corrosion, chips, and or scratches. It can be applied with a paint brush and still come out with a nice looking job and it could be applied without having to strip everything off the chassis. If you are looking for something you can paint on the chassis and never have to worry about rust or chips from flying rocks, this would be high on my list. If you are looking to build a “show” truck this may not be my first choice.

Powder coating – This process will give you, in my opinion, the best looking results. The Chevelle SS on the site that you posted looks to me like the chassis has been powder coated. You will have to strip everything off the chassis and take it to someone who has the equipment to media blast it and do the powder coating. I don’t think it you will get as much protection as POR 15 will give you, but is probably the next best product. This would be my pick if I were building a show truck.

Epoxy primer – If you are not going to use POR 15 or have the chassis powder coated, I highly recommend using an epoxy primer that is for direct metal. This is very good stuff and is engineered to bond to bare metal. This is a two part system, you must add a hardener to the primer and you only have a short time to work with it before it begins to set. Along with cleaning up all the rust you will need to get ALL of the oil and grease off of the surfaces or you will have problems. Once you get the epoxy primer on you can put pretty much anything you want over it.

Base coat/clear coat – This will look very good if applied properly, especially if you want a very high gloss finish. This is not something I would recommend for a first timer, you need at least a little painting experience to apply this properly. You must use epoxy primer under this system.

Rustoleum – This is a good, inexpensive product. I have used it on trailers, grills, lawnmowers, all kinds of stuff, easy to apply and holds up well. However, if you are planning to remove the cab, bed, engine, transmission, etc. in order to paint the chassis, that’s a lot of work. I would be looking at something of a higher quality for the job. If you are looking for something that you can crawl under the truck and dab on with a brush to cover up a few rust spots, this will work well.

Hope this clears up some of your confusion.

On the 69 Chevelle SS, if that guy does the rest of the restoration with as much attention to detail as he did the chassis, it will be an awesome, awesome car.

Don

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  18. LORD

LORD Member

Thank you very much Don M

Well:

Everything is clear now
    I will use POR15

All steps of the work will be photographed

A word of thanks is not enough to express to you how grateful I am

Thanks again