electrical problems

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by David, Aug 28, 2001.

1. David

David Member

I've fixed all the electrical problems on my truck, with your guy's help. I really appreciate it!!

Here's my new problem:
    Due to the wiring harness, and steering column being "mickey moused",I replaced the hole wire harness under the dash. I'm also replacing the newer steering column,for an original one. I have tail lights, and parking lights, but no headlights.

Also I have one more question, does Chevy Duty sell the replacement blinker cable, that runs from the blinker arm, down to the base of the column to the switch?
    I was told only 1962 trucks had this cable?
    If anyone knows let me know, any info would be appreciated.
    David

2. David

David Member

Since I posted the first message, I traced the problem to a break in the wire to the plug of the high/Low beam switch. Now I have low beam only, i'm gonna replace the switch and see if that will solve the problem.

I also took out the late model column,and put an original one from a 62' donor. I fixed the cable wire that go's to the turn signal switch.
    But when I hooked up the horn button, it sounds like the relay, and a slight horn mumble when the horn button is pressed.

Does the horn need to be adjusted or replaced? Or the relay?
    The horn was never hooked up when I purchased the truck.
    If anyone could help me on this, I'd appreciate it.
    David on the horn

3. Skippys62

Skippys62 Member

Your horn definately needs to be replaced. If you can hear the relay working, that means that everything leading up to it is good.

Skippy}>

4. David

David Member

Hey Skippy,

I hooked up the horn to a friends 65' and it worked. I replaced the horn relay,and that took care of it.:)

David

5. Skippys62

Skippys62 Member

Well, that was my bust, sorry david. The noise that you were hearing that sounded like a relay was really the horn button making contact with the metal plate underneath.

Skippy