Small Fuel problem? Thats what I thought.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by geoffrey562, Aug 28, 2009.

1. geoffrey562

geoffrey562 Member

My story, if anyone has any ideas I could sure use them. A month ago I noticed my fuel pump was leaking fuel from the gasket. I figured its due for replacement. So I purchased an exact replacement from Chevy duty. Double action fuel pump. Installed it no problem, checked for leaks, no leaks. Lookin good! I then start the truck. Took a bit to get it to fire but it did, and I shut it off and it started up no problem after that several times. Now I went to check for leaks while the truck was running. No leaks anywhere on the pump or lines I touched. Great, not so fast. I noticed under the truck where the transmission meets the engine a very dirty gasoline was now leaking in a decent amount. Not sure where it could be coming from? Also notice the idle of the truck was not as smooth as before. Still good just not as smooth. Any ideas on what’s going on. I'm good to change the pump and know the basics but still consider myself a novice on engine diagnostics... Thanks for the help...

2. federale

federale Member

Re:Fuel Problem

Could be leaking at the rear main seal. Sounds like the fuel pump is pumping fuel into the oil pan. Check the oil level and get back to us.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well , It's A Small Truck....

Seriously , what Federale said ~ when the diaphram fails , it allows raw fuel to go directly into the crankcase and dilute the oil .

so , give it a look and if it's overfilled on the dipstick , drain it out right away and change the oil filter too as bearing damage happens pretty quick with gasoline contaminated oil.... :eek:

4. geoffrey562

geoffrey562 Member

Fuel in oil.

Thanks guys, I have checked the oil and it looks like you guys are correct. I definately see fuel on the stick and it is well past full. I havent really ran it more then a couple of minutes since I have seen the leak. I will drain the oil tomorrow. What do I do now? Also where was the fuel leaking from, sorry im a bit lost will oil leak now... I hope I havent hurt my truck!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Sounds like you got a bad one. Unfortunately, It seems to be happening more frequently from all parts makers. Call and talk to the customer service people. They are usually good to work with.

Guess you can't expect much from foreign made parts.

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

Put a electrical on on and you will not have to worry about it again.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wait ~

Try just changine the oil & filter , you allready replaced the leaky fuel pump , this should be the end of the job .