alt. belt

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by lizardking, Feb 17, 2003.

1. lizardking

lizardking Member

I've got a 350 in my '68 1/2 ton and I can get my belt to stop squeeking! I've tried just about everything to remedy the problem.
    I've tried new belts,new altinator,different crankshaft pulley I got at junk yard and tightening and losening the belt. I even roughed up
    crank pulley with sandpaper which seemed to help which led me to believe that the pulley was wore out. The one I replaced it with was from a junk yard. So, should I just buy a new set of pulleys? How much play should I have in my belts? I've got them pretty tight right now. Maybe it's not tight enough. Any helpful tips would be greatly
    appreciated.

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

should only be about 3/4 inch movement if you push it down or bup it should move about 3/4 inch front the normal postion. try puting some candle wax on then pully side of the belt.
    cowboy

3. DrMike

DrMike Member

I agree with cowboy concerning the belt tension and the use of wax on the belt. Do not under any circumstances use any oil based product like WD-40 or even the stuff they manufacture for sqeaky belts. They will dry out the rubber and cause pre-mature cracking and squeak even more.

Dr Mike

4. lizardking

lizardking Member

Thanks for the tip! I've already tried the candle wax trick to no avail. The belt tension is about 3/4". I have tried that stuff manufactured to stop squeeks. It made it worst. Do you think maybe the pulleys are worn out? The guy at my local auto parts store says he's never heard of a pulley wearing out. Do you think it would have something to do with both my alt., and my power steering pump belts
    routing around the crank pulley and the water pump pulley? Should I run my power steering belt around the crank pulley only?

5. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:) howziit guy!

of course, pulleys do wear out.

firstly, take a GOOD look at how the belt rides, in each pulley. the belts are fabbed at two certain angles, which must match the angle of the pulley groove. if the belt rides too high, it may fly off.

IF THE BELT BOTTOMS OUT ON ANY PULLEY, IT WILL SLIP AND SCREAM!

eyeball the belt alignment, looking from either fender side. if they are not aligned, the belt may scream, or fly off.

i had the exact same problem you're having. i sanded the pulleys' grooves...no help. when i watched the balancer pulley, i noticed it was wobbling some. so i removed the crank balancer and pulley, DISCARDED THREE SPACER/WASHERS the PO installed, between balancer and pulley, installed grade-8 bolts/lock washers, re-assembled and tightened the belt.

NOWWWW, the alternator/water pump pulley alignment was WAY OFF, about .50-.75" off! DARN! i drove down to the GM dealer, almost back-ordered the $150 water pump pulley, then caught myself, drove home and ordered the $16 chrome pulley from SUMMIT RACING.

when i started the engine, the crank pulley was not wobbling bad anymore. even tho the alternator pulley was misaligned, i testdrove THE PINK LADY, checking for screams or flying belts.

GUESS WHAT? the belt never screamed again, nor did it ever fly off. i've got my new chrome water pump pulley on the shelf, waiting for trouble. if not, i'll change pulleys, when the need arises.