2 questions need help

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 64shortbed, Oct 10, 2009.

1. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

ok so i have showed you guys that i have been putting the ol girl back together. but i need a little help i cant find my cheat list i wrote.

q1. the cables on the deluxe heater defrost is no brainer but the air fan cable and the heat cable where do they go. does the air fan cable go to the heater core box( outside on the fire wall) or the duct work on the inside of the cab? if you know please let me know then ill know where the other one goes

q2 park lights and turn signal in the hood. do the park lights stay on when the head light are on? on my other old car i had(54 chevy 210 post) the park lamps did not stay on when the head light were on. but turn signals still worked. so are the 63 gmc/ chevys the same?

thanks for any help. mark

2. markeb01

markeb01 Member

Not familiar with the cable solution, but the answer to question 2 - in the stock configuration for 60-66's the park lights don't stay on when the headlights are illuminated. The following link will show you a quick fix to update them if you prefer to have them work at the same time.

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/parklamp6466.htm

3. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

thanks for the reply i forgot about that site. i use to go there all the time. the reason i asked about that is i removed the park lights in the hood. i talked to a guy at napa and they have these 1/2 inch led lights that i can put between my headlights for marker lights and turn signals. they have 2 differant ones. one is just a marker light (but i can use it as a turn signal about $25) the other is both $40. and i never run just my park lights so i thought if i can get the cheeper ones i was going to.

thanks again mark

4. markeb01

markeb01 Member

Just a note - you may already know this - LED turn signals in the front only should function okay, but if you install LED's in the back as well, you'll need to get an electronic flasher or they won't blink. The LED's don't draw enough amperage to activate the old style flasher.

5. 64shortbed

64shortbed Member

the tale lights are staying stock

6. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE Member

Does this condition exist with a new harness and flasher?

7. drabo

drabo Member

Yes. For the flasher to operate it needs a certian amount of current going through it. When you install LED bulbs it doesn't drawn enough amps (current) to allow the flasher to operate. An electronic flasher is just designed to operate with much less load.

8. Miner

Miner Member

I believe the HEAT cable goes on the heater core as it controls the flow of the heated water to the heater core. The AIR cable would go to the duct work. That controls the gate that opens to outside air and keeps the windows from fogging up. ( not to be confused with the defrost control ) I hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009