1966 4x4 questions and problems

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by BigblockSchilf, Oct 13, 2009.

1. BigblockSchilf

BigblockSchilf Member

I have been away from GMC 4x4s for awhile and am coming back with a good sized project. I have a long sad story on my 1966 Gmc 1/2ton 4x4 truck. Iam looking to fix it up to do truck kinda stuff here in Montana, haul stuff(Buick parts), hunt, and 4x4 around. I would like to go with power steering, and maybe a radio after I get many of it other probles fixed first. It was poorly built into it current state, plus a fair amount of just living the last 40years. It sarteded out as a 1966 1/2ton 2wd V6. At some point they swapped the body onto a1966 4wd 1/2ton V8 283 with 3/4ton springs out back. Soon after the swap they blew up the rear end and just put the 2wd one back. Missmatched gears dont do any good. I am looking at swaping in axels off a newer truck, like a 1978. As any one here ever done or heard of it being done? Was thier power steering on that? Any big blocks in them frame rails out there? It has been a long time since I have had a old Chevy/GMC 4x4 to work and play with, looking forward to it. The Buicks can wait for a while.
    Thanks for any and all help.

2. drabo

drabo Member

You should have no problem using an axle from a 78. The spring perches might have to be relocated. I do believe that the axle will be wider so to make it work you might have to do a lift for the tires to clear. You can also cut the fenders and install flares but I doubt they make them for that body style.

For power steering you will need a power steering box, pump, and brackets. Check your donor 78 it will work. Also you will need a power steering box bracket sold by our host or CCP and many others.

If your looking for more umpf under the hood look at a 383. It is a tourque monster making for a good off-road truck.

3. BigblockSchilf

BigblockSchilf Member

I was hoping to do a 2"-4" lift, with a fender cut(not much fender left to cut), and possibly run 36/12.5/r16.5 tires. But I can not find any one who makes a lift for the old gal. I am proably going to reverse enginire one off of a Rough Country for a 69 and or 78, kinda hybred of close year to mine and donor axels.While swapping the axels it will be a good time to fab up my own lift. I got some friends that can really help me out there. I am going to keep the 283 for awhile, I just happen to have a 454 laying in my shop that runs good just cant seem to sell it.

4. drabo

drabo Member

5. 62 short step

62 short step Member

Welcome! I have a 61 chevy 4x4 and done alot of these mods. I have axles from an 89 chevy blazer, the front was a bolt on, but you will need to get new brake lines made, no one makes these for this conversion. The rear axle is the same width as the stock axle but the spring perches will need to be moved. As for the power steering get everything from a donor 73-87 chevy or gmc 4x4. The power steering plates sold by the venders hear and elsewhere only work for the 2 wd models, i can give contact info to a member here that makes them for 60-66 4x4 trucks. They are a good fit, i have had no problem bolting the plates on my 4x4. So far for a lift kit they do not exist for 60-66 4x4s. I got a 76 chevy 4x4 frame and took the spring hangers off the frame and mounted them to my 61 frame. Now i can get any 73-87 truck lift kit to bolt on my truck. I have a 73-87 4 inch lift kit on it now and it raised the truck 2 inches higher than a stock 60-66 4x4. If you need any pics or anything else let me know!