Cruise Control

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by agb1976, Oct 5, 2009.

1. agb1976

agb1976 Member

I have 87 sub 3/4 ton. My cruise control stopped working and my dome lights stay on the whole time so I had to remove the bulbs. Anybody think it might just be a fuse issue? I don't think its jamb switch for the lights becasue the idiot alarm still works with the keys in the ignition with the drivers door open. Any thoughts

2. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

Cruise can be many things.

Dome lamp:
    Is your headlight switch turned completely counterclockwise so they stay on constantly?
    Does your buzzer stay on with key in ignition, key off, doors closed.
    Door jamb switch(es) out of adjustment? Gently use a pair of pliers and pull out center pins of jamb switches. If they are not too rusty, the sleeve will pull out and then first door close will self properly adjust.

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

As said GonicGM about the headlight that true most people that are not use to the older head light switches. But if you know that about the switch and that not problem it could be + short ground trying to ground throw the +. At the light fixing or the fuse box to the switch .

The cruise control you will have test the switch wireing to the cruise control box under the hood likage make sure ever check out to find it.

4. agb1976

agb1976 Member

Dome lamp:
    Is your headlight switch turned completely counterclockwise so they stay on constantly?
    Does your buzzer stay on with key in ignition, key off, doors closed.
    Door jamb switch(es) out of adjustment?

The dome lamp stays on no matter what, dimmer switch turned to the on/off position. Buzzer is only in when key is in ignition and driver door open, so I dont' think its the door jamb switch nor the headlight/dimmer switch because the dash lights still dim.

5. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

The dome lamps are typically wired with an orange and white conductor. The orange is constant 12v battery power. Switching by jamb switch or headlight switch is via ground, white wires. Sounds like you have a white wire shorting to ground. I'd first check drivers side. Pull sill cover, lift carpet and lift up harness, hold jamb switch in and see if lights go out. Otherwise trace remaining white wires in that harness inspecting for grounds to short.

6. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

I'd still consider door jamb switch adjustment. get enough people to hold all jamb switches in at once and see if dome lamp(s) go out.

As stated before, these switches are adjustable and self adjusted with door closure. This can especially become apparent when a door is removed and reinstalled, readjusted, or a different door hung as adjustment will be off.

7. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Ok then as last post said, another place to check is the back side of the door switch smake sure that the switch grounding out on the back side after years of use ( might need a switch ) that only if you do the check & test the switch . or the wite wire broken at the back side and touching the body.

8. agb1976

agb1976 Member

GonicGM said:
    The dome lamps are typically wired with an orange and white conductor. The orange is constant 12v battery power. Switching by jamb switch or headlight switch is via ground, white wires. Sounds like you have a white wire shorting to ground. I'd first check drivers side. Pull sill cover, lift carpet and lift up harness, hold jamb switch in and see if lights go out. Otherwise trace remaining white wires in that harness inspecting for grounds to short.

Ok sounds like I will definetly try that. Thanks for all the input.