53HalfTonBrakeJob

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by caldwell4, Oct 22, 2009.

1. caldwell4

caldwell4 Member

Have a few small leaks so I am replacing the original mastercylinder, brake lines (w/ Stainless) and what ever I run into. Texas Red is a 53 with a 235, 4 speed,two one barrels, fenton headers, Patricks rear end and nice 16 inch 3" whitewalls. Totally restored 10 years ago, showing some age, because I drive it. Any suggestions on what to look for. I do my own work, but have a day job so slow and easy it goes. Appreciate any comments.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Howdie Red,

You can replace all brake lines with stainless, but if the truck was rebuilt 10 years ago the hard lines should still be fine. ( unless the restorer skipped that part.)

Check for where the leaks are coming from and address those, AND flush and replace all the fluid.

But if you really want to replace everything with stainless,,,,,,,,

. Get all parts you need ahead of starting including all hard lines, rubber and misc small items like T-connectors.
    . Bench Bleed the master cylinder before installing.
    . Invest in a "quality" tubing bender and flairing kit. Stainless is very "HARD", a $40 bender and flairing tool will not cut it !
    . Invest in a tubing cutter, ( or two, stainless is HARD!). Hack saws are a no-no to cut brake lines !!

dval